Thread: C Drive Issue on Toshiba T61 Series Laptop

C Drive Issue on Toshiba T61 Series Laptop

I have a old T61 series laptop. I carry this with me everytime when I travel. I am facing certain issue with the laptop. The drive in C is showing very less space although I had not installed any extra stuff in the same. I have a 80GB drive in which more than 50GB is empty but that shows only around 5GB. There were some bad sectors detected in the drive and some of technicians told me to replace that. I want know that is there someway by which I can fix this. If not then how to change the hard drive. I have a 40GB kept with me.

Re: C Drive Issue on Toshiba T61 Series Laptop

You can simply try to re-install Windows first. It this is a hardware fault then there is no way to fix it. You will need to replace the hard drive and get yourself a new one. You can right now here opt for 160GB to 500GB drive. But try a replacement for the same from authorized center or else you can face further more hardware issue on your system. Try to contact Lenovo.

I had formatted my hard drive for that issue. It is a hardware fault and it works sometime after re-installation. If you want to change the same then you must first collect all the configuration detail of your system. In short, refer to the instruction manual for your computer to find the location of your hard drive. Be careful when removing if you new then you can break some critical component.

The first important point is to know what is the hard disk interface which is used by your computer. If it is recent then the most common is SATA drive. To make the difference between a SATA and PATA disk (or IDE) is simple. You can find that by just looking at the shape of the connector. If that suites you 40GB drive then you can add that and then reboot.

Note that the labels on the disc a number of useful information are given like the type of connection, of course, but also the speed and the amount of cache. It is therefore useful to first remove a hard drive before making the purchase of new. There are two reasons that lead to change hard drive first is to improve your computer performance and the other is simply to increase the storage capacity. So better go for a new one and higher capacity drive.

Many laptops have a slow hard disk which slows the overall performance significantly. Choosing a hard disk 7200 rpm instead of 4200 rpm or 5400 rpm this speed is most common in laptops and it saves significantly in performance at lower cost. The use of a hard drive has a 16MB cache instead of 8 MB on average and that can again is used to gain a little performance.

It will be bit harder for you to open up the laptop and change the battery. It can also be risky as that can damage your system. So better show that to some of the authorized service center which will give you better assistance. I had given my Sony laptop for repair at a service center. They had replaced my old 80GB drive and added 160GB SSD drive which is much better.