Thread: iPhone 4 activation question

iPhone 4 activation question

Please I need some advice about iPhone 4. Me and my wife both have iPhone 3G with an AT&T connection. My wife is eligible for an upgrade but I am not. Hence I want to know if my wife uses the upgrade and gets an iPhone4, then will be able to activate the phone using iTunes? I want the iPhone4 to be using my account as I will give my iPhone 3G to my wife for using. Any information about the topic is more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: iPhone 4 activation question

One thing which you can do is, let your wife upgrade the iPhone 3G to iPhone4 and get it activated. Once the phone is activated, you can swap the SIM cards of the phone and use it as you want. Swapping the SIM cards is possible because you are using the same network provider. If you were using different service provider, then it wont have been possible to switch the SIM cards and use the phone.

No activating the iPhone4 and then swapping the SIM cards on the phone will not work at all. The SIM card used in iPhone 4 is a micro SIM card which is much smaller than the normal SIM card. Hence you wont be able to swap the SIM cards and use the iPhone. Moreover the iPhone will only work with the account with which it is activated.

Actually there is no problem in converting a normal SIM card into a Micro SIM card. You just have to cut the extra edges of the SIM card till it fits properly on the Micro Sim Card slot. There are many article available only which provide step by step guidance for creating normal sim card into micro sim card. You can also refer the link here and see if it is helpful.

It is better that you go to an AT&T store and upgrade to the iPhone4. Once the iPhone4 is activated, tell them to switch the services. The AT&T support will provide a new Micro sim which will have your account activated on it and you can use this card with the new iPhone4. You dont have to pay for anything to switch the service.

Yes contacting the AT&T for getting the SIM card swapped for getting a Micro card SIM card will be a better idea as there will be no risk of getting the subscription suspended. Thanks for helping out.