Thread: Is the new iPhone 4 carrier locked?

Is the new iPhone 4 carrier locked?

I want a bit detail about the new iPhone 4. There are lot of rumors on the web that this new phone is going to be carrier locked. That means it is going to work with few telecom providers only. Is that true. If yes then are there any chances to get a unlocked version. Most of the time Apple sells a lock and unlocked version both. But this time it looks a bit different. Want some information on the same.

The iPhone sale is goign to be formally unlocked. And there will be a additional version which will be sold by some telecom provider. Unlocking that means loosing the warranty. Here the locked version will be cheaper as it will be based on contract. And the unlocked version will be costlier as it will be sold freely and can work with all type of sim. There is a huge difference between the cost of this two models. You can try finding out the same on the official site.

I personally feel that it is wrong to limit the customers to use a single carrier provider by putting a carrier lock on the phone. If any customer is buying the phone, he should be able to choose the service provider on his own rather than forcing the customer to use the single carrier by putting the carrier lock. Hopefully Apple will revise its policy and release the phone without the carrier lock.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Re: Is the new iPhone 4 carrier locked?

The reason why the carrier lock is put on the iPhone because the actual cost of the iPhone is too high hence when a customer buys it using a single carrier, he has to pay only some initial amount and rest of the amount is deducted from the monthly rentals. If the iPhone is released without carrier lock, people wont buy it as the cost is too high.

I am afraid but the answer to your question is yes. Apple is going to release the iPhone4 in all the countries with Carrier locked. In US the official carrier for iPhone4 is AT&T. Hence if you want to buy an iPhone4, you can either preorder it from the Apple or AT&T depending on your convenience. iPhone will not work with some other service providers SIM card. So I will suggest buy go ahead and place your order before hand.

It is very sad to hear that the iPhone is only available in US with AT&T service. I guess I will have to preorder the phone from Apple store. Also if I preorder the phone, will it be delivered to the place I want or will I have to collect the phone from the apple store? Has anybody placed the order for the iPhone4?

You can preorder the phone from the apple stores or ATT its completely your choice. if ordered from an apple store, the iPhone will be delivered at your doorsteps which you can get activated by using the iTunes. If you order the phone from AT&T then you will have to collect it from an ATT gallery which will be activated there itself.

You can purchase iPhone 4 SIM unprotected (aka carrier free) for a extremely high price in the subsequent countries:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

You have to click on the triangle after that to the region and appear at the "Locked to carrier" column NOT including a checkmark.

For instance in the EU: Belgium, Check Republic, Greece, etc.

I don't believe you may get it carrier unprotected in the US or Canada or Jamaica.

Honestly, it is actually maddening that I cannot exchange the sim when I am in an other country. The roaming is baloney when I am using a pre-paid sim card in some other countries for a much cheaper and now, I can’t even improve to iphone 4 for $199. My iPhone was stolen and I presently restarted my agreement through a dumb-phone in June to stay until iphone 4 unconfined however at&t says no to in the early hours upgrade for $199 presently for the reason that I am on a reduced plan.

" Why would Apple limit my aptitude to decide, given I will enclose completely paid for the iPhone upfront"

Are you really asking that? That's all apple do lol! Limiting hardware's capabilities since 1976 apple products aren't magical inventions which are ahead of computers and phones etc, they just use expensive hardware and then limit what you can do with it, coupled with masked loading screens to make them "smooth", which most people mistake for "super fast". If you want to do what you like with your hardware, why on earth did you buy from apple?