Thread: Faulty apple ipod hard drive

Faulty apple ipod hard drive

I dont know whats wrong with my iPod's hard drive. It was working fines till yesterday but now when am trying to put anything on it, it just gives me an error message stating "there is a corrupt file". Uploading anything just gets failed. Do anyone of you have faced this kind of problem ? I guess, it is the faulty hard drive of my iPod. Please help.

Re: Faulty apple ipod hard drive

Try to start your IPod in disc mode connected with your system and after that reformat the drive via disc utility. That must map out every bad sectors of your hard drive, if it is so. After that try opening the ITunes restore application. I hope that will fix the errors and start working.

If you face any trouble putting the iPod into disk mode, place it on a plane surface. Note that the finger pressing the Select key is not emotive the Click Wheel. what's more , make certain that you are pushing the Play/Pause key on the way to the outside of the Click Wheel and not close to the center.

Open up the iPod, and put a folded-in-half business card among the external metal exterior and the hard drive itself. By doing this it will put a little force on the hard drive, and has lastingly fixed all iPod I have tested it on. This method helps you save $300. I have not experienced this on my device, and would perhaps only suggest it as a last solution. However if it's the distinction among recycling and enduring to use, it may be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by maq.h View Post
    Try to start your IPod in disc mode connected with your system and after that reformat the drive via disc utility. That must map out every bad sectors of your hard drive, if it is so.
    Thanks for the quick and valuable response, friends. Before opening the iPod or doing anything like so, i would like to try the disc mode. But as i have never tried doing so before, i have no idea about using disc mode. I request you to please let me know the step by step process of doing the same. Help will be appreciated.

The steps to put iPod under disc mode differs from model to model. As i dont know the exact model of your iPod, here am mentioning the steps for Click Wheel iPods that i have. Just follow these simple steps:
    • Prior to putting the iPod into disk mode, you have to make sure that it is loaded.
    • Toggle the Hold button (skate it to Hold, then turn it off once more).
    • Hold the Menu key and select button pressed for at least six secs awaiting the Apple logo appears.
    • Once the Apple logo appears, straight away press the select key and the Play / Pause and hold the keys unless the Disk Mode screen displays..
    • Now attach the iPod to your PC; You will get a notification on the iPod screen stating "Do not disconnect"

That means you are now in disc mode.

If you have an older iPod model without a Click Wheel, than try out these steps:
    1. Before placing the iPod into disk mode you should verify that it has a charge.
    2. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    3. Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, then release them. This resets iPod. When you reset iPod all your music and data files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost.
    4. When the Apple logo appears, immediately press and hold the Previous and Next buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
    5. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will change and say ""Do not disconnect""