Thread: HP Pavilion ze5500 Laptop does not recognize hard drive

HP Pavilion ze5500 Laptop does not recognize hard drive

Please help, my HP Pavilion ze5500 Laptop does not recognize hard drive. The laptop had Linux operating system installed on it which I replaced to Windows XP but after replacing the operating system on the laptop, it is not detecting the hard drive. I am not able to figure out what is causing such problem and hence need your help. Whenever the laptop is started, it gives error saying "Disk boot failure". How do I solve this problem? Please help.

Re: HP Pavilion ze5500 Laptop does not recognize hard drive

Get the hard drive of the laptop checked by some expert. It is possible that the hard drive of the laptop is corrupt and hence the system is not booting. Open the laptop and remove the hard drive. Connect the hard drive to some other computer and run all the diagnostic tools for the hard drive and see if there are any errors with the hard drive or not. If the hard drive is faulty, you will have to get the hard drive replaced.

Check the settings in the BIOS. BIOS is responsible for saving all the information of all the devices which are connected. If the BIOS of the computer is having some problems, the hard drive will not be detected. Open the BIOS setup on the laptop and restore it to default settings. Save the settings and reboot the system. See if the hard drive of the laptop is getting detected or not. Hope the post helps.

As suggested I got the hard drive of the laptop checked but there were no faults with the hard drive. Finally I tried to reset the BIOS of the computer but it did not work too. The laptop is still giving the disk boot failure. Does this mean my laptop is having some hardware issue? Please suggest some alternate solutions.

As resetting the BIOS did not help, you can try and change the battery on the motherboard of the laptop and see if it works. BIOS is able to store the booting information because of the battery installed on the motherboard. If the battery is low on charge, it will not be able to store the information and hence will create such problems.

Get the motherboard of the laptop checked as I suspect it is faulty. All the functions of the computer are controlled by the motherboard. If the motherboard of the laptop itself is faulty, then the system will not recognize the device which are connected. If the motherboard is found to be faulty, get it replaced.

Thanks for helping out. Changing the battery on the motherboard really helped in solving the issue. The battery was on low charge level and hence was not able to save the BIOS information which lead to problem in detecting the hard drive of the computer. Replacing the battery solved the error.