Thread: Looking for NAS to use as iTunes Media Server

Looking for NAS to use as iTunes Media Server

I am running with the common configuration of PC which is effectively a glorified iTunes Media Server. I synced up my Apple TV and iPod. I just got a MacBook Pro from one of my colleague , but currently, I don't need to clog this up with my entire media files.

I want to make backup of my PC and MacBook Pro to the Time Capsule through the Wireless Network. Just plug it up with a Printer to the Time Capsule so I can be able to print from the computer system or MacBook within the Wireless Network. The itune is capable to sync all the iPod and Apple TV but can you tell me something about the AirPort Extreme and a USB Hard Drive?

In order to this , can I work with the Apple TV for Media Storage and use iTunes on my MacBook? Sorry for these advice , but I have been searching for some better fix regarding this and I continuously running into snags.

Re: Looking for NAS to use as iTunes Media Server

There are some points are described as follows -

Time machine will create the back up to the time capsule until it is full skipping any space for your media. Time capsules can get fail after 18 months, after getting lost your entire back up and the media that kept on this.

My latest setup is a QNAP 219P NAS, it has 2 1.5TB drives installed in raid 1 to facilitate some disk fail safety, you also able to use it for time machine and indicate how much space this can use. I am running with 500G for time machine and 1Tb for media, all of that backed up to an external USB drive, additionally its backing up online to Crashplan.

I didn't feel that Time Machine would cover up the full drive. I considered out that I would have plenty of storage with a 1TB Time Capsule backing up a 320 GB HDD in my MacBook. I assumed that I can work with an online backup fix to get around that. I have got some horror stories about the Time Bomb This is the section of the causes that I am leaning towards an Airport Extreme or Linksys Router with a USB Hard Drive.

According to the statistics, The Time Capsule is an overpriced part of junk. A backup strategy with only one hard drive does not make sense. There are so many threads are already created here where users desired to complete the same task, they are well reading and may provide you some associated suggestion . The devices section also contains some proper information on NAS setups.

Just One thing should be considered that you will require a Mac or computer system running iTunes to retrieve any components which is collected on the remote drive. Thus, there is no any benefits of using a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme since you will still require a Mac or computer to serve up the stored contents . Therefore, you might just as well associate a drive directly to the Mac or PC and leave other components as well.

According to me, there is not any NAS or any third-party media server which can be retrieved directly by an Apple TV. You can be with the iTunes installed on a Mac/PC and stream the contents from an iTunes supported media server but the Apple TV alone unable to retrieve any kind of NAS or media server without the help of suggested Mac/PC.

I have a large collection of music and video. When Sony perform the NAS update on the PS3 then I considered that it was the answer about which I was searching for. My wife purchased an HP media vault (mv2010). My family members have your own ipods. I have been trying to putting my entire CDs onto the vault in AAC format. Just because of some causes , the PS3 was able to address the media vault but was not able to stream the media. I would consistently recieve a 'network error. I considered that the AAC option in audio preferences granted the PS3 to detect non-protected AAC files. Is it not true? Also, the vault supports that I don't have the computer plugged to the stream the music and getting transferred into my computer down with extra software..