Thread: iMac with Sony Bravia

iMac with Sony Bravia

I am using iMac for my office tasks and my Sony Bravia 40" (kdl40d3000) in my living room. I decided to use the TV as a mirrored monitor for the iMac and then with my bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the living room to manage it. So, some of the hear are my questions..

1. I need to go with HDMI or VGA or what ?
    2. If I select VGA, will so many TV's contain that option, in that situation, I replace my Bravia.
    3. In the sense of audio, what should be the better option for cabling?
    4. Is there any method to perform this wirelessly?

Re: iMac with Sony Bravia

Hi guys , I am running with a new 24" iMac and I need to connect it with my Sony bravia TV. Actually,my TV is HDMI supported and modern. With that in mind, can someone please tell me what I have to do and what stuff is needed in the way of cables to configure it up. Thank you so much in advance.Any help ..

Fine, I am also one of the user of iMac, In this case for connectivity, you should have Mini-DVI output port and that would be support with the DVI, VGA, S-video output options. Your Sony Bravia should have such options of these inputs as you stated that this is new and modern, be sure to check it again . DVI would be the much better then after composite and then svideo. Apart from this, You just require the right cable and connect it in where it get adjusts !

Hi Carnie,

1) HDMI obviously ! it will also provide you the forward compatibility for the foreseeable future. In order to this situation, you have to go for a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter (or mini-DVI to full DVI, and then a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable)
    2) If you are not running with your TV plugged with your receiver, then you should just pick a stereo RCA to mini-plug cable. I don't know about the length of the cables in which it comes but if any place contains a very large cables so it will be monoprice. You should find a Toslink cable with a mini-plug from one end. That provides you much reliability in the future. These can surely be had at monoprice.

According to your suggestion, I moved for some google search and at least, I got something ,what I have been searching for "monoprice for hdmi cables". On one of the hardware storage site named as monoprice.

I got some separate categories for every hardware but I am unable to get the differences between those. Am I going with the safe manner to get the cheapest 50ft cable. can you tell me something about the differences of 24awg, 26awg 22 awg and hdmi1.3 etc.. How do I know what to select between them ?

Well, if you are getting confused between those differences then obviously I can help you .Actually 24, 26, 22 indicates to the size of the shielding according to me . 1.3 is the most current iteration of the cable, for the time being 1.3 a, b, c,doesn't make any real differences, 1.3a is whole which is needed to comply with industry standards...

monoprice is awesome! enjoy!

Actually, I am trying to connect my imac to a Sony Bravia with the help of HDMI connection. I am running with the HDMi-DVI lead plugged to a mini DVi- Dvi dongle within my mac.When I configure the TV to the HDMI setting
    then it just displayed up the default imac blue background but nothing come up. There is no other applications or something like that. Where am I doing something wrong ???

smile Re: iMac with Sony Bravia

Hello AshMaker,

I have been having the same problem. Here's the equipment that I have:

1. IMac 24" dual 3.06
    2. Mini-DVI plug in back of my computer (Apple discontinued this after about 10 months!)
    3. Mini-DVI to HDMI connector with a 10 foor HDMI wire
    4. Sony Bravia TV model # KDL-32L5000

I was able to get things working for about 1 second, and then I got the "no signal".

I tried connecting into HDMI 1, 2 and 3 (SOny requires the connect into HDMI 1), I tried 2 different DVI-HDMI adapters, and2 different HDMI wires, and nothing worked.

I then took the computer to my local Apple store. The technician only had a mini-dvi to VGA adapter with a VGA 10 foot wire. THAT WORKED!

So, should I now be buying older wiring and the DVI-VGA adapter for my IMac to work with the Sony Bravia?

You must first test out the same with a older VGA support. Many users have face a similar issue while connecting a dual monitor setup on HDMI support. Connect the second monitor to VGA port and then start your system. It must then detect the signal fast. The three resolution that it supports on the dual monitor support is 640 x 480 at 117 Hz, 800 x 600 at 95 Hz and 1024 x 768 at 75 Hz.

Hello Delaware,

On an Apple forum, I just found out that my IMac is a Late 2008, rather than a 2009.

What you suggested happened at the Apple store. The technician connected a mini dvi with a VGA end with a VGA wire extension to another MAc laptop (used as a second monitor). THAT WORKED!

I'm beginning to think that I'll end up having to go that route instead!.

Thanks for the input.

Stacey