Thread: SD card reader not working on Sony vaio TX1 laptop

SD card reader not working on Sony vaio TX1 laptop

Hello friends, I have recently bought a Sony Vaio TX1 laptop which is has internal SD card reader and is installed with Windows XP operating system. The laptop was working fine for few days but now the SD card reader on the laptop is not working properly. The laptop is not able to read any card that is installed inserted in the card reader. I cannot understand why the SD card reader is not working on Sony vaio TX1 laptop and hence need your help in solving the issue. Does this mean the card reader on the laptop has gone faulty? Please help.

Re: SD card reader not working on Sony vaio TX1 laptop

It is possible that the internal card reader of the laptop has gone bad due to which it is not able to read any memory cards which are inserted in the slot. Also the laptop is new hence I would suggest that you take the laptop to the nearest service center and get it checked. If the laptop is faulty and is under warranty it will be serviced for free.

Are you sure that the memory cards which you are inserting are not faulty, because if the memory card itself is faulty then it will not be detected by the card reader. Check the memory cards on some other card reader and see if they get detected. If the memory card are found to be good, then only go ahead with the further troubleshooting procedure.

Check if the appropriate drivers for the card reader are installed and working on the laptop. All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. If the appropriate drivers are not installed on the computer, the device will not work properly. Go to device manager and highlight the installed Card reader. Check if there are any caution signs or not. Follow the troubleshooting procedure if there are any caution signs. If troubleshooting does not help, then try and update the drivers.

Have you scanned the system with an Antivirus? Some virus's are known to infect the files associated with the drivers of the device. In such a situation the device whose driver is infected will not properly on the system. Therefore scan the system with an updated antivirus and check for all the files which are infected. Repair or quarantine the files which are infected. After repairing the infected files, reinstall the drivers for the device and see if the Card reader works properly or not.

Operating system on the laptop is not able to detect the device and hence the device is not working properly. There are lot of files which are associated to the operating system of the computer. If any of th file which is associated to the operating system is corrupt or missing on the system then the operating system is bound to give such problem. Reinstall the operating system on the laptop and see if the problem is solved. You can try and repair the current windows installation if you want.

I was also facing the same problem with the Sony laptop which I am using. The card reader on the laptop did not work properly and I finally found out that the problem is with the motherboard of the laptop. I got the motherboard replaced and now the laptop works properly without any problems. Hence get the motherboard replaced and check if the laptop is working properly.