Thread: Hard disk and Blu-Ray USB.

Hard disk and Blu-Ray USB.

I was wondering whether I could play hard disk movie from the blue ray or the DVD player USB port. I am having Samsung - DVD-1080PR. It has the System Format Compatibility to Windows Media Audio Disc and DivX Disc. Video Digital to Analog Converter Bit/MHz is around 12/108 and Audio Digital to Analog Converter Bit/KHz is around 24/192. It has two channel Audio Channel Output.

Re: Hard disk and Blu-Ray USB.

I can speak for the 3600/4600 models.

Yes, they play off hard disks or USB sticks, so far, I added 500gigs 1.5TB, without problems ... even managed to get several hard disks with a hub, but only one at a time can be accessed.

The only problems you will face is that more and more AVI’s are not encoded the same...so some will play...others won't (one more thing, Samsung, look to adding the VLC to a future update if possible ???)

Thanks for your help but now, I am looking to integrate the movies I have on an external hard drive to be able to play them on my HD TV. I have a Western digital 500 GB hard drive, and a Visio 42 LCD TV.
    I was considering buying a DVD player with a USB port or a DVD recorder with a firewire port to play them that way. Will this work or not? If so what would be a good one to purchase?

Philips and LG have DVD players with USB ports.

But, it will be better if you go for 360 and streaming it from your computer.

What is the format of the movies you are having? Because You are going to face problem for finding the codec and for each of your different videos (.mov, .avi, .mpeg, .divx, .wmv, etc). Plus I doubt the firmware in those DVD players will support a 500gb hard drive I can only suggest you to get an iTV or something similar to that.

The movies on my hard drive are copied from my DVD collection. I copied the movies on hard drive in format I think is a normal DVD format.

Thank you for your help and answers, but I think I found what I am looking for. I bought an Oppo DV-980H. After reading all the comments on the Internet, I think it will do exactly what I want.