Thread: Mac Mini - Sony Bravia display issue

Mac Mini - Sony Bravia display issue

I have connected Sony Bravia 32’’ HDTV to my Mac Mini through the DVI – HDMI configuration and worked perfectly fine.
    But, after the installing the software updates on my Mac Mini the resolution have changed and the display which I am getting is really annoying. I have tried to do a number of setting but nothing have worked.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this Mac Mini - Sony Bravia display issue?

Re: Mac Mini - Sony Bravia display issue

I will like to give you a suggestion it worked for me I hope may be this will also help you. I am also having Samsung flat screen 32” TV and I am using the same panel as a flat screen. I faced this problem when I have changed the display setting, and I was also getting the annoying display but then I set the display to “Just Scan” and all the setting came to normal.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

I am also having the same issue with my Mac mini and the Sony Bravia. I tried to do the OverScan but it makes the picture too much big and if I turn it off then the picture becomes too much small. One more thing the color is looking crap now. It is something like that a lot of nuances in the colors are missing. I have also tried to recalibrate it but did not showed any good result.

For the solution of your problem, I will suggest you to buy a new 15-pin cable and then connect it to Mac mini and to the Sony Bravia 32’’ HDTV’s PC input. This will definitely solve your problem.

I am telling this because I was also suffering with the same problem and now it is working great with the great resolution. I am using 1360 x 768

Finally, I have sorted out this display issueSony Bravia
    The first step is to turn on the overscan which is in the prefs on the Mac mini. Now you will say that the image becomes too large compared to the display here is the solution

The next thing you have to do is go to the “Display Area” on your TV display settings. The default setting given there is “Normal” you have just change this to “Full Pixel”.

Hello guys,

Maybe one of you can help me out.
    I have an Imac 24" dual 3.06 with a mini-dvi to hdmi connection on the back of the computer. *This connection only lasted about 10 months before Apple changed it.

Here's my problem:

I tried 2 different mini-dvi to hdmi connectors with 2 different hdmi wires in the 3 different hdmi connections on my32" Sony Bravia LCD TV (Model; # KDL-32L5000).

Nothing worked! I did get something for 1 second and then I kept getting the "No Signal" on my TV.

So I went to my Apple store. the technician doesn't have the wire I have, but does have a mini-DVI VGA wire. He then attached a VGA wire to this and a second MAc computer (to be used as a second monitor), and naturally this works!

I don't want to buy older connectors or wires, so can anyone out there find me a solution?

SOny in its' instruction booklet says this:

1. "Use the HDMI IN 1 port when connectingDVI equipment (page 7).

2. "PC Input Signal Reference Chart for PC and HDMI IN 1/2/3 (page 37)

This page gives you a list of 6 different resolutions and frequencies. I have no idea what they are talking about!!

Can someone help?????

SBSB

Quote Originally Posted by SBSB View Post
    Hello guys,

Maybe one of you can help me out.
    I have an Imac 24" dual 3.06 with a mini-dvi to hdmi connection on the back of the computer. *This connection only lasted about 10 months before Apple changed it.

Here's my problem:

I tried 2 different mini-dvi to hdmi connectors with 2 different hdmi wires in the 3 different hdmi connections on my32" Sony Bravia LCD TV (Model; # KDL-32L5000).

Nothing worked! I did get something for 1 second and then I kept getting the "No Signal" on my TV.

So I went to my Apple store. the technician doesn't have the wire I have, but does have a mini-DVI VGA wire. He then attached a VGA wire to this and a second MAc computer (to be used as a second monitor), and naturally this works!

I don't want to buy older connectors or wires, so can anyone out there find me a solution?

SOny in its' instruction booklet says this:

1. "Use the HDMI IN 1 port when connectingDVI equipment (page 7).

2. "PC Input Signal Reference Chart for PC and HDMI IN 1/2/3 (page 37)

This page gives you a list of 6 different resolutions and frequencies. I have no idea what they are talking about!!

Can someone help?????

SBSB
    I had the same issue and I followed the below suggestions given on Apple forums:

-Turn on overscan in the display prefs on the mac (the image should be cut off by the edges of the screen)

-on your TV's display settings go to "Display Area", its default setting is on "normal", instead, set it to "Full Pixel"

It worked and now the picture looks sharp and fills the frame. No need for vga, mini dvi to hdmi is fine. All I needed now was a mini dvi that feeds digital audio to hdmi and it will be perfection.

ThumbsUp Re: Mac Mini - Sony Bravia display issue

Hello again,

Thank you all for your replies.

To Solomon:

I need some help - I cannot find "overscan" in "the display of my Imac.

I went to Main (Hard Drive)>>Applications>>System Preferences>>Displays.

I then get these choices:

640 x 480
    640 x 480 (stretched)
    800 x 500
    800 x 600
    800 x 600 (stretched)
    840 x 524
    960 x 600
    1024 x 640
    1024 x 768
    1024 x 768 (stretched)
    1280 x 800
    1280 x 960
    1280 x 960 (stretched)
    1344 x 840
    1344 x 1008
    1600 x 1000
    1600 x 1000
    1600 x 1200
    1920 x 1200

To Simond: I don't currently have a "15 pin cable". Are you suggesting that I buy the connector that the technician at the Apple store used? That was a mini DVG wire, which he then connected to a 10 foot wire. That worked easily!

So, should I simply forget the mini-dvi to HDMI wiring and connector, and go for the older mini DVG wiring?

Thanks again to all,

Stacey Bindman
    Montreal,Quebec,Canada