Thread: Can I use GPS without have 3G data plan?

Can I use GPS without have 3G data plan?

Hello to all,
    I have recently bought a cool new Nokia Booklet 3G, but without AT&T contact. It means that I don't have 3G connection. I want to use GPS function of Nokia Booklet 3G. Can anyone tell me can I use GPS without have 3G data plan? Please help me.
    Thank you.

Re: Can I use GPS without have 3G data plan?

Why don't you use Garmin Mobile PC for your Nokia Booklet 3G. Get maps, millions of POIs, easy-to-use navigation software, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names (English only), route planning and more — all from the trusted leader in GPS navigation, Garmin. Packed with preloaded maps, millions of destinations and full GPS navigation capabilities, Garmin Mobile PC software turns your laptop into a powerful street navigator.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

As per my information the answer is yes. You can still use GPS. Just enable your 3G module in your device. Now press fn+F10 to check whether 3G is enabled or not and also check whether GPS also work or not. You can even test using Ovi Maps gadget on your device. If you find that GPS is working, then you will able to able to see your location in Widget.

I also had the same problem as yours, then I use following command and then I able to use my GPS. I think you also use this command to do this.
    Code:
    (AT_OGPS=2)
    - This command turns the GPS on.

I have test the internal gps with Garmin Mobile PC Navigation Software and it is working fine. You can use this in the following ways.
    1.There is no need to activate any 3G plan.
    2.You have to just select COM4 from the Garmin settings as your GPS data source.
    3.Now you have activate the GPS with the Tera Term client. This can be done using following command.
    AT_OGPS=2 (at COM5).
    4.when you get OK command, it means that gps data is coming in to the software.
    5.After some time you will get good signal strength and after this navigation software start working.