Thread: Will Booklet 3G work on Linux platform?

Will Booklet 3G work on Linux platform?

Hello people, I have just got a Nokia Booklet 3G which is installed with Windows 7 home edition on it. The performance of Windows 7 on Booklet 3G is not that satisfying and hence I want to know, Will Booklet 3G work on Linux platform?. Has anybody tried to install Linux on the Booklet? Is there any way in which the performance of Windows 7 can be improved on Booklet 3G? Please help.

Re: Will Booklet 3G work on Linux platform?

Instead of changing the operating system on the Booklet, you can try and improve the performance of Windows 7 on the computer. Try and disable all the unnecessary features of Windows 7 which are not used by you. After disabling all the unnecessary features of Windows 7, open the task manager and check all the processes which are running. Terminate all the unwanted processes which are taking up lot of memory and CPU usage. After terminating all the unwanted processes, see if the performance of the Booklet improves or not.

The Nokia Booklet 3G has an Intel GMA 500 video accelerator which does not supports Linux distribution as there are no open source drivers available for the device. All the devices of the Nokia Booklet 3G except Intel GMA 500 works properly on any of the Linux distribution. As the display adapter is not supported by the Linux distribution, it is very difficult to run Booklet at its native 1280×720 resolution.

I have installed UBuntu on my Booklet 3G and everything is working properly without any problems. Earlier the open source drivers for the Intel GMA graphic adapter were missing which created problems while installation of Linux on the booklet which was resolved by some open source wrappers. After installing the required drivers all the devices on the booklet are working fine and the performance of the Booklet on Linux is far more better than on Windows 7 operating system.

Yes the Booklet will definitely work on a Linux distributions. I have installed Karmic on my booklet which has enhanced the performance of the system far more better than Windows 7. Although there are few problems which are faced with Booklet 3G after installation of Linux operating system which are as follows :-
    1.The Hotkeys for brightness and network devices do not work.
    2.Suspend mode does not work sometimes.
    Both these issues are not much of a concern as the operating system reduces the brightness of the system if kept idle for longer time and Suspend mode can be controlled from BIOS of the system.