Thread: Unknown error -69 and -48 when Ipod is synchronized

Unknown error -69 and -48 when Ipod is synchronized

I have recently bought an Apple 80gb Classic Ipod which I connect to my desktop computer which is installed with Windows 7 operating system. I had iTunes 8.0 installed on the computer which I upgraded to iTunes 9.0 two days back. After updating Itunes on the computer I am getting an Unknown error -69 and -48 when ipod is synchronized. Can this be because of the Itunes? or my Ipod has gone bad? Please help.

Re: Unknown error -69 and -48 when Ipod is synchronized

Yes it can be because of the iTunes which is installed on the computer. Whenever any application on the computer is updated, the files which are associated to the earlier version of the application are replaced with the files of the new version of the application. If any of the files which is associated to the older version of the application is not replaced properly then the application will not work properly. Hence remove the current installed version of the iTunes from the computer and reinstall the application again. See if the problem persists or not.

The connecting cord which is used to connect the Ipod to the computer is an USB cord. The USB cord which is used to connect the device to the computer, consist of many lines of conductors. These lines of conductors may get damaged due to improper handling or improper storage. If any of the lines of the conductor is damaged, then the communication between the Ipod and the computer will not be proper and may be the reason for the error which you are getting. Change the connecting cord and see if the Ipod is getting synchronized.

You can try and follow this troubleshooting method to see if there is any improvement or not :-
    • Connect the iPod and close iTunes.
    • Click on Start menu and select My Computer.
    • Right click on the iPod and select Properties.
    • Select Tools tab.
    • Select the Error Checking section and click on Check Now.
    • Select the boxes which says "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
    • Click on Start.
    • Let the procedure complete and then see if the Ipod is working properly or not.

The firmware of the Ipod is also a software which can get stuck or corrupt like any other software. If the firmware of the Ipod is stuck or corrupt, it will give such errors while synchronizing the Ipod. To solve such problem, you will have to reset the IPOD and then connect the IPOD to the computer. To reset the IPOD, press and hold the menu and center click button on the ipod simultaneously. Keep the buttons pressed till an apple logo appears. Let the Ipod reset and connect it to the computer. See if the Ipod gives the same error while synchronizing or not.

I was also facing the same issue with my Apple 120gb classic Ipod. Whenever the Ipod was connected to the computer and synced, it would give the same errors. I tried to search for the solution but could not find any. Finally I took the Ipod to the authorized apple service center and got it checked. It was found out that the Ipod was defective and hence was giving such problems. I got it replaced and now I dont face the same problem again. Therefore take the Ipod to the authorized service center and get it replaced.

CIRCUMVENTION, 17AUG10

This WinXP+SP3 user of iTunes, with a NAS-hosted library containing over 30,000 tracks organised into a handful of very large playlists, has seen many puzzling error messages during iPod synching. Unknown errors -48 and -69 are the most common, and "The wrong volume is in the drive." is another frequent calamity.

Two 160GB Classic iPod models are used, one hosting 94GB of data and the other 86GB of data, and they both experience exactly the same problems. The library also contains lossless masters which are not synched to the iPods, which explains its 387GB size.

Any attempt to explain the meaning of these messages would require access to the sourcecode, and without that one can only theorise that these are problems of scale. A practical workaround which has eliminated these problems for this user is to synch 1,000 tracks at a time, ejecting the iPod after each tranche. This number is of course completely arbitrary, and the procedure is empirical.

If a tranche fails, you don't lose the previous tranches, and you can simply repeat the synch for the failed tranche. In the event of a failure, even if iTunes didn't lock up, it is wise to reboot the PC to ensure a clean state for the resumption.

Once an iPod has been fully loaded, routine day-to-day synchs which apply small quantities of new or changed tracks should not experience these difficulties. Here's how to go about that huge initial loadup.

First configure iTunes for manual synching, so that you have control over what gets synched and so that you can instigate the operation yourself once preparations are complete.

On the iPod's Music tab in iTunes, select only one playlist for synching. In the main iTunes window, display this playlist's contents; block select all but the first 1,000 tracks in this playlist; rightclick and choose "Get Info"; and prefix the Grouping tag with "XXX". Next,create a smart playlist which looks for "XXX" in the Grouping tag. (Use the "contains" relational operator, not the "is".) You now have two playlists. Do not tick the new playlist for synching -- it's just a temporary repository.

Synch the iPod and eject it afterwards. You now have the first thousand tracks onboard. In iTunes, display your XXX playlist, block select the first 1,000 tracks you see and remove the "XXX" from their Grouping so that they return to their original playlist. Reconnect the iPod, synch it, and eject it afterwards. You now have two thousand tracks onboard.

Continue this process until all of the first playlist has been synched and the XXX playlist is empty. On the Summary tab, leave the first playlist ticked and now tick your next playlist. Repeat the process.

Eventually, all your playlists will be on the iPod. Delete the empty XXX playlist.

Because the iTunes user interface varies from version to version, specific references to menu options can be confusing. This user has recently reverted to version 7.7.1.11, in which smart playlists are created by hitting Ctrl+Alt+N, and manual synching is specified by hitting Ctrl+comma and ticking "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods" on the Syncing tab.

AURELIAN