Thread: Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop freezes while watching videos

Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop freezes while watching videos

Hello people, I bought this laptop few months back and it worked really fine for these days but now the laptop started giving some problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop which is installed was installed with Window XP operating system which I upgraded to Windows 7 recently. After operating system upgradation the Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop freezes while watching videos. This happens everytime I watch any videos on the laptop. When the laptop freezes, the system has to be restarted using the power button. Can this be because of system RAM? coz the laptop has about 1gb of RAM. Any suggestions/solutions are more than welcome.

Re: Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop freezes while watching videos

Check the application which you are using to play the videos. Applications which are installed on the computer have a lot of files associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the application is corrupt or missing on the system then the application will not work properly and may result in system freezing. Therefore I would suggest you to uninstall the application which you are using to watch the videos. Remove all the files and keys which are associated to the application from the computer and reboot the system. Reinstall the application and see if the system freezes or not.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

The minimum requirement of the system RAM to run Windows 7 smoothly is 1gb. You have mentioned that the system is running on 1gb of RAM which might not be enough to run Windows 7 and high end applications together. Every application which is started on the computer requires some memory and CPU allocated. If the system RAM gets depleted while running any application, then the system will freeze as there is no memory left to allocate. You can try and upgrade the RAM of the laptop and see if the performance of the computer improves or not.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

The operating system which is installed on the computer must not be working properly due to which you are facing such problems. All the functions which are performed by the computer are controlled by the operating system. Operating system also takes all the logical decisions. Therefore if the operating system is not working properly then the system will freeze or will not work properly. If you have the installation disk of the operating system which you are using, then insert it in the drive and boot the system from the disk. Let the installer load and give different installation options. Select the option which says "Repair Windows Installation" and let the procedure complete. After completing the repair procedure, see if the system works properly.

All the devices which are connected to the computer require a set of drivers to be installed on the computer. Drivers are the mediators between the operating system and the device. If the appropriate drivers are not installed then the device will not work properly. Therefore check if the display drivers are installed and working properly on the laptop, right click on My computer and select Device manager. Now highlight the display adapter and if there are any caution signs then follow the troubleshooting procedure. If troubleshooting does not help then try and update the display drivers and see if the problem persists or not.

The graphics which are seen on the monitor are processed by the Graphics processing unit of the computer. While processing videos the GPU of the computer gets heated up. If the temperature of the GPU gets heated up beyond the threshold temperature then the GPU will shut itself down for protecting itself from damaging. If such a situation occurs then the system will freeze, I suspect that the GPU of your laptop is getting heated up due to which the system is freezing. Therefore check the temperature of the GPU while running videos. Also if the cooling fan is covered with dust, then clean it as it dust can block the free airflow.