Thread: Macbook Pro does not power on

Macbook Pro does not power on

I have been using Mac systems for a while now but have never faced such problems with it before. I have a Macbook Pro which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5 on it. The Macbook was working fine till yesterday when the Macbook pro shut itself down while I was synchronizing my Ipod and now the Macbook Pro does not power on. As I am not a computer savvy, I am unable to solve the issue. Therefore I need help in solving the issue. Any suggestions/solutions are welcome.

Re: Macbook Pro does not power on

Have you disconnected the Ipod from the Macbook and then tried to boot the system? Mac systems have highest priority for the USB devices, therefore if any of the USB device is connected to the computer while booting then the system will detect the USB device as the booting media and will try to boot the operating system from the device. As the Ipod will not contain the required operating system, the laptop will not boot. Therefore disconnect the Ipod from the Macbook while booting and then try to start the computer.

Most of portable devices face the problem with residual charge. Residual charge gets stored near the RAM chips. If the voltage of the residual charge increases beyond the threshold then the system will not be able to access the RAM and hence will not boot. To discharge the residual charge, shut down the macbook, disconnect from the AC source. Remove the battery of the laptop, and press the power button from about 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, release the button and let the laptop sit for a minute. Replace the battery and see if the laptop boots.

By looking at the problem it look like the logic board of the Macbook is not working properly. Logic board of the computer is responsible for controlling all the functions which are carried out by the computer. If the logic board of the computer is not working properly then the system will not boot. Therefore I would suggest that you get the logic board of the computer checked by some technician and if there are any problems, get it replaced. Once the motherboard is replaced, you will not face the same problem again.

Sometimes the battery of the laptop does not get charged when AC adapter is connected to it. If the battery of the laptop does not have enough charge then the laptop will not boot. Therefore connect the Macbook to the AC adapter and see if the Macbook is charging. If the Macbook is charging, then let it charge for about 3 to 4 hours. After 3 to 4 hours, check if the Macbook is able to start. If the Macbook is not starting then try some other battery with same ratings and see if the Macbook is booting.

Try doing a PRAM reset and see if the Macbook is booting. Many times invalid entries get stored in the system RAM. If the system RAM gets flooded with the invalid entries then the operating system will not work properly. Therefore to bring the computer back to working state, you will have to clear all the invalid entries. To perform a PRAM reset, follow the steps below :-
    1. Shut down the laptop and locate the following keys (Apple, Option, R and P)
    2. Now press and hold the following keys while booting the Macbook.
    3. Keep the keys pressed till three startup chimes are heard.
    4. As soon as the 3rd start up chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot.