Thread: Ibook G4 freezes intermittently

Ibook G4 freezes intermittently

I am facing a weird problem with the Ibook G4 which I am using. I have a Ibook G4 which is installed with Mac OS X 10.5 on it. The problem is whenever I start my Ibook, it will not detect the hard drive sometimes and when it detects the hard drive the system will freeze intermittently. I am not sure if the problem is with the hard drive or with logic board of the ibook. Therefore if anybody knows why my Ibook G4 freezes intermittently then please share some information which might help in solving the issue.

Re: Ibook G4 freezes intermittently

Most of the problems which are related to MAC systems are solved by doing a PRAM reset. Sometimes invalid entries get stored in the system memory. If the system memory of the computer gets flooded with invalid entries then the operating system will not work properly. To clear all the invalid entries from the system RAM, you will have to perform PRAM reset. To perform PRAM reset, locate the following keys (Apple, Options, R and P). Press and hold the following keys while booting the computer. Keep the keys pressed till 3 startup chimes are heard. When 3rd startup chime is heard, release the keys and let the system boot normally.

It is possible that the hard drive of the computer is not working properly due to which it is not getting detected by the system. The hard drive consist of movable head and platters. If the hard drive sustains a heavy physical shock then the alignment of the movable head and the platter changes. If the alignment gets disturbed then the hard drive will not get detected. Therefore remove the hard drive and connect it to some other computer and see if it gets detected. If the hard drive does not get detected, then the hard drive is faulty. If the hard drive gets detected, then run different diagnostic tools on the hard drive and see if there are any errors.

By the description of the problem, it looks like the logic board of the ibook is not working properly. All the functions which are performed by the computer are controlled by the logic board. Every device which is connected to the computer are provided correct voltage levels because of the logic board. Also the logic board is responsible for taking all the logical decisions. Therefore take the Ibook to some apple authorized service center and get the ibook checked. The technicians at the service center will check the ibook thoroughly and will let you know what the problem is. If the logic baord is faulty then you will have to get it replaced. Once the logic board is replaced you will not face similar problems again.

The problem can be possibly due to the faulty ATA adapter of the ibook due to which the hard drive is not getting detected. The ATA adapter works as the mediator between the logic board and the hard drive hence if the ATA adapter itself is not working properly then the hard drive will not work properly. If the ATA adapter is not working properly then you will have to replace the chip on the logic board of the ibook. Once the ATA adapter chip is replaced, the problem will be solved.

All the settings which needed for the system to boot the system are saved because of the battery which is located on the logic board of the computer. If the voltage of the battery falls below threshold then the system will not boot. Therefore open the Ibook and locate the battery on the logic board. Remove the battery and check the voltage across the battery using a Digital multimeter. The voltage should be between 2.5 volts to 3 volts. If the voltage is less than 2.5 volts then you will have to replace the battery of the ibook. Once the battery is replaced, the problem would be solved.