Thread: Information on WAP services in mobile

Information on WAP services in mobile

I have this mobile phone which is called "Nokia n72" and using "AirTel" sim card on my phone. I have seen the option of gprs and wap services on the phone in the internet option. So i just wanted to know what is the use of this wap kind of services and also how can i use this service on my phone. Please provide me all the information to have some knowledge about it. My friends they are using this service to access internet on the phone. So i also wanted to use and need some information..

Re: Information on WAP services in mobile

WAP services stands for Wireless Application Protocol. It is a service which is used by the phone or PDA's to access internet. As you have mentioned that you are using Nokia N72 phone and airtem sim card, so in order to access internet you need to contact to the customer care from there you can get all the information to activate wap and gprs services on your phone. You need to subscribe for this services through your network operator.

Wireless Access Protocol (WAP) is used for having communications in a wireless communication environment. Most of the time this WAP service involves accessing internet from your mobile phone. It is a service which includes all the basic services of a computer based web but it is simplified to operate with some restrictions in a mobile phone. There are most of the mobile websites which is developed to access it through wap service in the phone. The wap websites are written in WML (Wireless Markup Language) and accessed by the WAP service through browser.

Today most of the phones are buit with this WAP feature for accessing wap sites through mobile browser. To access internet through wap you need to activate wap service from operator's side and then you will be able to access wap sites into your phone. There are two basic services by which you can asscess internet services, these are gprs and wap. In gprs you can have access to all the websites without any kind of restrictions involved and also you can access internet in your computer through your phone using it as a modem, while wap services includes to browse some sites with some restrictions and you cannot use internet with the wap service in yout computer.

I think you have cleared all the points with respect to WAP function in your phone. In order to activate this service you need to ask to your network operator to activate it, you need to call your networks customer care and then just place your request to activate this service, they will send you all the settings in your phonw related to the wap service, then just save all the settings and then follow all the steps to use internet as provided by the customer care executive.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

As wiro gave the information on the WAP services, i was using this service but i was not satisfied with the services which the operator provides. So the best thing is to activate gprs service on the phone which allows you to access all the websites wtihout any restrictions. Today most of the operators they provide gprs service which is resonable too, so in order ot access internet without any restrictions just activate gprs and you don't need wap services.