Thread: An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly

An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly

Hi,

I have a powerbook g5, When every time I plug my ipod in itunes I get a message saying "An iPod has been detected, but could not be identified correctly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again." I had contact Apple support by phone and even they can't solve this. I don't want to repair. So please if anyone can help me solve this please do so.

Re: An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly

Check the connection of USB device

1. Unplug all USB devices from the system, with the exception of the iPod nano and any USB keyboard and mouse. Then restart the computer.
    2. Make sure you are using a powerful USB 2.0 port. Do not use a USB hub to connect your iPod.
    3. Try a USB cable from the iPod to an alternate if available.

To resolve error, An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly, if you have one of these versions of Windows, make sure Windows is fully up to date by downloading and installing software updates from Microsoft. If you have Windows XP with Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Service Pack 2, download and install Service Pack 3 through Windows Update.

Try resetting your iPod, to do this follow the below steps :

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Hold down the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo, ages 8 to 12 seconds. You may have to repeat this step.

Download the latest version of iTunes then Update and reinstall the iPod software. Then open the new version of iTunes and connect your iPod to your powerbook g5. Select your iPod in the source list and click "Check for updates" in the Summary tab. iTunes will check if your iPod needs to be updated and perform the update for you. If this does not solve the problem, try completely uninstalling iTunes and then reinstall the latest version of iTunes.