Thread: Maemo vs Android

Maemo vs Android

Hi,

I would ask people who are more intimate with Maemo to share the best of what makes Android-based Maemo core functionality, development aid, supported languages, the interoperability between applications, the ability to change any element of the interface and the shell with another (like change the keyboard, the contact application, the application of the camera), the timing and cloud computing, etc. I think Maemo is the best what do you say Maemo or Android??

Re: Maemo vs Android

Android is backed by a large company, popular, and are willing to play all the games Lockdown U.S. companies to play, so I can see making great progress in the world of smartphones. Because it can work on other devices other than phone, I can see to make some inroads in other markets too. Maemo is the oldest, most experienced platform of them all, and you have a great community and a real push to get all the platform in light of Open-source software.

From a hacker point of view, Maemo is very interesting since it is basically a Debian embedded with all its advantages and disadvantages. But you have to ask: so far, the other Nokia Internet tablets have been good child devices. You have your mobile phone for connection to RL, and NIT, probably the Internet connection through the phone, dealing with the CPU, Internet activities beaten. The question that arises is whether the new generation of smartphones really need this type of distinction.

I think the biggest difference is who is behind each operating system. Nokia and a broad community of open source Maemo behind while Google and its position behind the Android community. From a standpoint customability Performance and Maemo looks like the best smartphone, since Linux powering it, while Android is a more mass market with bits smartphone running Linux.

The great advantage of Maemo system, as opposed to anything around at the time of creation, was almost completely open source and based on Debian. So with a fair bit of luck, they could develop a Debian package on the right to build the environment, and is likely to run on the maemo device. And since there was GTK as its base of windows as well, developing their own applications was easy, too.

Both Android and closed Maemo also include other components. This was highlighted recently when Google stopped distributing CyanogenMod many apps for hacked devices. The reactions to the ban were exaggerated, this does reveal the problem of having closed components on otherwise Free systems.