Thread: How to sync iphone to other computer

How to sync iphone to other computer

Hi, I have an Iphone 3g which i have recently bought. I have Itunes on my home computer and the work computer. I have both applications and songs synced to my Iphone from my Home computer and now i want to sync my phone with my Work computer. Is it possible to sync the phone to different computer without losing the already existing data on the phone? Please suggest some solution if any.

Re: How to sync iphone to other computer

No it is not possible to sync the Iphone to other computer without losing the data on it. Apple created Itune's to reduce the piracy of music. Hence Itune's does not allow the apple devices to sync with different computer. Once you connect any apple device which is already synced with some other computer to new computer, it will directly give a window to Erase and Sync or To cancel the syncing process. If you select Erase and sync, then data previously on Iphone will get erased. If you select Cancel then the Iphone is not synced with the system and can only be charged.

You can sync the Iphone to different computers without losing the existing data on it. To be able to do that you will have to authorize the Itunes on both the computers with same Itunes Account. After Authorization of both Itunes with same Itunes account, you will be able to synchronize the Iphone with both the computers without losing data. To authorize the Itunes with same account, you will have to have same versions of Itunes on both the computers. To authorize the Itunes, Open the Itunes. Now Click Help and select the "Authorize version" option from the drop down list. Now enter the Itunes account details and Click on submit.

If you select the Manual sync option in Itunes, then you will be able to add music to your Iphone without replacing the old songs without any problems. Just follow the procedure and you will face no problems while adding new songs to Iphone from a new computer. Connect the Iphone to the new computer. Itunes will open automatically. Now Click on cancel in the Erase and sync window. Now click on Iphone Icon in the device connected list. Now check the box against Manually Manage Music option. Now Add the songs which you want add to a playlist. Once all the songs are added to playlist, Click on the File menu and Select "Autofill from" option and select the location of the Playlist. Now all the songs will be added to iphone without replacing the existing songs on the Iphone.

Like music you can also sync the applications which are there on the Iphone with a new computer. But to be able to do that the Itunes on both the computers should be authorized and activated by a same Itunes account. Once the Itunes is authorized and activated, Open Program files and then Locate the Itunes folder. Now Locate the Mobile applications folder, Select all the ".ipa files" which represents all the Iphone application files. Copy this files from the old computer to New computer and paste them in same folder. Once the files are copy pasted, you will be able to sync the applications to Iphone from the New computer.

There are number of software's which are available online for free to take backup of songs and application from Ipod and Iphones. Copytrans is one of the software which can be used to transfer music and applications from Ipod/ Iphone to PC. Once all the data that is there on the Iphone is copied on the new computer, it will be possible to sync the Iphone with new computer without losing any data. The applications and songs can be added to Itunes on the new computer and then synchronized back to Iphone.