Thread: Problems with New version of Itunes

Problems with New version of Itunes

I have an Apple 80gb classic Ipod which i used to sync with Itunes 8.0. Recently i updated the Itunes to version 9.0 on my computer and suddenly it started giving errors while connecting the Ipod. Whenever the Ipod is connected Itunes opens and while synchronizing it gives a window saying "All the song on the Ipod will be removed, To continue click on Erase and sync". I dont want the older songs on my Ipod to be removed as they are not present on my hard drive anymore. Also whenever I open Itunes it gives a pop up saying "A newer version of Itunes is available, Do you wish to download it". Will downloading the newer version solve the problem or will it make it worse? Please help

Re: Problems with New version of Itunes

There is no way in which the old songs on the Ipod will be saved while syncing the Ipod. You should have saved the earlier Itunes library while updating it to new version. If you have saved the library then it would have been easy to save the songs on your Ipod. If you sync your Ipod now, Itunes will erase the Ipod and then sync it again with the songs which are present in the new library. You can download the songs which are already there on the Ipod using Itunes store. I know that you will have to pay for them again but there is no other way.

Did you uninstall the earlier version of the Itunes before updating it to newer version? If yes then that is where you went wrong. Whenever Itunes is updated all the libraries and the playlist which exist on the earlier version get copied in the newer version. If you had updated the earlier version without uninstalling it then it would not have created problem. But as you have uninstalled the earlier version, all the libraries and the playlist related to it must have been deleted. So sorry there is no way for saving the files.

There are some applications available to back-up data from Ipod or Iphones. Many Ipod and Iphone users find it difficult to back up data on there phone or Ipod in the event of Itunes crash. When Itunes crashes, it needs to be reinstalled. The reinstalled itunes does not have the same songs or pictures added to its library as of the earlier version of Itunes. Hence when the Ipod or iphone is connected to the computer, the Itunes detects it as a new installed device and gives the erase and sync option. Install the AVCWare iPod software which will help you in taking the backup of the songs from your Ipod to your PC.

I think the Itunes which you have installed is not working properly. Did you update the Itune's using online update process or downloaded the latest version and then installed it? If the you have downloaded the latest version and then installed it, then there is a possibility that the file you have downloaded is corrupt. Uninstall the Itunes and then download a new setup file for Itunes and Install it again using the new file. Before uninstalling Itune's save the existing libraries first. If you have used the online update procedure then it is possible that the Itunes is not updated properly due to connectivity issue. Try to update it again when the Internet connection is not fluctuating.

Using the Manual sync option will help you in saving the old songs on your Ipod. When Ipod is connected to the computer, Itunes will start. Once itune's Starts it will ask to erase and sync the Ipod, Click on cancel. Now click on the Ipod icon in the device connected list. Now Check on the box in front of Manually manage music option. Now put all the songs in the new library in a playlist and then select "Autofill From" option in the File menu and select the Playlist you created. Now Itunes will add all the new songs to the Ipod without replacing the Old songs.

Here's the easy way people...cause I JUST figured it out.

1. bring up your new library
    2. connect your Ipod
    3. Right click on the Ipod (under Device)
    4. Select transfer (copies your songs into the new library)
    5. Copy them back to the Ipod (yes you will get the sync/delete message)
    6. Select 'ok' (or yes) to resync and delete old songs/library
    7. This reinstalls your songs back onto your Ipod

Your 'old' Ipod now contains all your previous 'old' library songs and is now resync'd for the new library version.

Its stupid issues like this why Apple ALWAYS loses market share after their innovation. Competitors take their quirky product and make it simple for the non geeks like me.
    Last edited by HammerheadSSN663; 16-10-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: edit