Thread: HP Pavilion p6200z not detecting old Seagate Hard disk

HP Pavilion p6200z not detecting old Seagate Hard disk

A months ago I purchased a new HP Pavilion p6200z desktop. I was earlier using a HCL desktop which now I have given to my younger brother. Now yesterday when I wanted some data from that old Hard disk of mine I plugged the old Seagate 80GB Hard disk of HCL desktop in my new HP desktop but it was not detected. My BIOS was not at all detecting my old Hard disk. The present two 80 GB Hard Disk of HP desktop were detected as usual. What could be the cause for this?

Re: HP Pavilion p6200z not detecting old Seagate Hard disk

Hey guys even I was facing a similar kind of issue when I got my friends Hard disk and joined in my computer. But it was not detected. When that hard disk was scanned using AVG Anti virus on my friend's computer itself caught 1 virus. So, First plug your Seagate Hard disk back in your HCL dektop. Scan that hard disk to check for any virus or trojans that be causing this issue. Preferably use AVG anti virus.

You can try to fix that old Seagate hard disk in some other machine. Boot that machine in Safe Mode. Check for any illegal programs that might have creeped in on your hard disk. In Safe Mode scan this old hard disk completely using a good updated anti-virus. Now try to fix that hard disk in your new HP Pavilion check whether your BIOS detects it. Also boot your HP Pavilion in Safe Mode and check whether the BIOS detects the old hard disk.
    Last edited by Simond; 06-11-2009 at 05:18 PM.

I had got a new LG desktop and after about a 4-5 weeks I was also facing a same kind of problem. My desktop was not detecting any external hard disk and also any USB. I got then rebooted my system in Safe Mode and did a full scan of my desktop and found that a virus was causing this issue. So reboot, your desktop in safe mode and run a full scan. Also for you I would suggest to check the cable of your old Hard disk.