Thread: Apple TV screen goes black

Apple TV screen goes black

Hi, i have a Apple TV at my home that is not almost a year old. It was working fine till without any issue but suddenly its screen turns black. I tried unplugging and plugging but again but still the same issue. Also i am not able to see it under iTunes. Is there any way to fix these issues manually as it is no more under warranty ? Hope you guys can help me out for sure... Thanks in advance.

Re: Apple TV screen goes black

I am not sure about the cause of this error but we cab try some tips to fix it out... First of all make sure that audio and video cables between Apple TV and your TV are pushed in all the way. When you connect power, check to make sure the LED turns on. If the LED is not on, then verify with a known good power outlet or connect something else to the outlet you're using for Apple TV and make sure it works (such as a lamp or clock). Also verify that you're using the correct video cables and that they are connected firmly to Apple TV and to your TV. The input setting you've selected on your TV should match the input you have your video cables connected to. See the documentation that came with your TV for more information.

If it is still black than you need to select a video mode your TV supports. To do so Press and hold both Menu and Menu up/scroll (+) on the Apple Remote for about 6 seconds. Apple TV will cycle through different display resolutions. When Apple TV reaches an acceptable display resolution and "If you can see the Apple logo, select OK" appears on your TV screen, press the Play button on the Remote.

Thats it..

I think running diagnostics software on the Apple TV can fix this black screen problem. To access the Apple TV Recovery screen, perform the following steps:

• Hold down the Menu and Menu down/scroll (-) buttons on the remote for approximately 3 to 5 seconds, until the LED on Apple TV flashes yellow.
    • After Apple TV restarts, a screen appears asking you to pick a language. Select the language you wish to use.
    • The Apple TV Recovery screen appears with 3 selections:
      • Restart
      • Run Diagnostics
      • Factory Restore
    • Select Run Diagnostics. The screen displays "Running diagnostics" and a spinning disc cursor appears. These tests can take several minutes to complete. If you receive an error message, take your Apple TV to the nearest Apple Service Provider to have your unit evaluated.
    • Upon successful completion of the diagnostics, the screen displays "Your Apple TV is working correctly." Select Done to return to the Apple TV Recovery screen and then select Restart to return your Apple TV to normal operation.
    • If the Apple TV Recovery screen reappears, unplug the power cable from your Apple TV and plug it back in. Your Apple TV should restart normally.

While running diagnostics software, if you select Factory Restore, do not unplug the power cable from your Apple TV during the restore process. Your Apple TV will automatically restart when the restore process is complete. If you are connected via HDMI, try unplugging and replugging your HDMI cable.

As you said you are not able to see Apple TV under itunes, i'll suggest you to make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes installed and the latest version of Apple TV software installed. To update your Apple TV to the current software version, just go through these steps:-

• Select Settings > General using your Apple Remote.
    • Select Update Software.
    • At this time your Apple TV checks to see if an update is available and a Download Now message should appear.
    • Select Download Now to start the download process.
    • When the update has finished downloading, an Update Now message should appear.
    • To start the update process, select Update Now. During the update process, your Apple TV will conduct a restart which is followed by the Apple logo and a status bar.
    • After the final restart, your Apple TV plays the opening video and returns to the main menu.

Try these steps to reconnect Apple TV to iTunes:-

Choose iTunes > Preferences (Mac) or Edit > Preferences (Windows), click Apple TV, and make sure "Look for Apple TVs" is selected.

If Firewall is on in Mac OS X (in the Sharing pane of System Preferences), make sure "iTunes Music Sharing" is selected.

Open iTunes on your computer.

Select the Apple TV icon with "Click to set up" next to in in the Devices list.

Enter the 5-digit passcode from your TV screen