Thread: How do I repair Lg Voyager Touch Screen

How do I repair Lg Voyager Touch Screen

Hi,

Unfortunately, I had broke my Lg voyager touch screen and I was wondering if there was any way I could get it fix or repair without getting a new phone. I know I can get the parts and fix it myself. Please help me locate the necessary parts and the procedure to fix it myself.

Re: How do I repair Lg Voyager Touch Screen

If your Lg Voyager is under warranty, you can just replace it. If not then, you can look for one that is on ebay for parts and fix it yourself, if possible. You don't include enough information to determine if it is repairable, however to do it by yourself.

I don't suggest you to repair your Lg Voyager's Touch Screen, touch screen phones are very delicate and they are extremely tricky to repair and the TSTFT (Touch-senstivie Thin Film Transistor) can cost a lot more than it would to just have Verizon repair it.

If you want to repair Lg Voyager Touch Screen, you have to remove four screws to open the phone. The top flip section of the phone has 4 hidden screws inside the flip lid that are covered with little glued on covers that can be easily pried off with a sharp tool. Now you would be able to remove the top part of Voyager and now you can replace the screen. After doing this, you need to manually solder the speakers, microphone, and vibration motor back.

Just to add to the thread. I am doing this to by son's VX10000 (or Voyager) and creating a log here.

1) As described pry off the 4 corner tabs on the inside of the phone (around the screen). Remove the 4 screws and set aside.

2) Close the phone and pry the silver top from the base. For me it was a very small flat head screw drive and moved around twisting and feeling small pressure release all the way around the lid.

3) study the inside.
    note the wires on the top blue/red ... black/red.... black/red
    note the 4 corner screws holding the screen in
    note the ribbon cable connecting the silver face.

4) remove the four inside screws. Now you can gentle pry the 2 inch metal strip off the bottom of the screen and flip it over and away from your work surface.

5) study some more. See the smaller ribbon connector and the exposed red/black wires. The ribbon disconnects easily. the other 4 pieces (round disc, square black thing, and upper+lower speakers had a bit of glue on them but they pop out.

6) Now you are ready to remove the actual screen. Mine gave me some grief. First I was attempting to pull out too much (the metal cradle stays). So Technically you could have left 2 of the 4 inner screws in place.

7) Once you have the screen out of the phone flip it over and take off the protective cover (more glue).

8) Next I took a short break - then using a sodder gun moved each of the 4 pieces to the new screen -- matching wires as I went one piece at a time. Not the most difficult part but I found a pair of tweezers helped.

9) PAY ATTENTION: Now remove the protective film layer and apply the screen protector to the white side of the screen. Check for finger prints and clean if required -- make sure you have the orientation correct (This is important as it MUST fit int he case right. This was such a pain for me that I recommend you seat the protective screen in the phone and then drop the screen on top of it to secure it in the right place. I found this was the only way to get the protective screen and the lcd screen to align into the phone when I closed it. Warning too much pressure and you'll crack your new screen.

11) Attach the ribbon cable, seat the speakers and other things. fasten the small 2 inch metal bar into place and secure the screws. Peel of 2nd side protective layer

12) Close case apply pressure to get the case to "snap" back on , replace screws and tabs.