Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost contacts after apple iphone sync and update

Re: Lost contacts after apple iphone sync and update

grace 81617 i love you. did the mail contacts calender thing and got them all back xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

smile Re: Lost contacts after apple iphone sync and update

Twinturboturtle, I tried this and it worked! Thank you!

1.Open iTunes on your computer.

2.Plug in your iPhone to your computer just as you would to sync it normally.

3.Locate the iPhone in the "Devices" column at the left of the iTunes application window.

4.Right-click (Ctrl + click for Mac) on the iPhone icon in the "Devices" column and select "Restore From Backup." Select one of the backup versions from the drop-down menu and click the "Restore" button. This will restore any contacts that you have lost since your last sync in iTunes.

5.Eject your iPhone and go to your contact list on it. Any lost contact or contacts should be restored to your list.
    It worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by twinturboturtle View Post
    This happened to me. I went to "settings icon" on my iPhone,
    went to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars";
    went to "My info" it was displaying "none"
    but when I clicked on it, this is where all my contacts were, I chose one and clicked on it. Backed out and went to back to "contacts app" on the main screen and all my contacts were restored.
    serendipity strikes again! hope this helps
    Thanks so much - just worked for me after the s/w update lost all my contacts. Just one adder, when I found the contacts in "my info" as yiou decribe I also noticed a button to "update contacts from SIM" so for added good luck I clicked that too! Anyway contacts are back so hope it works for others.

Nice touch from Apple that they don't pick up these major issues and as a minimum post the fix right on itunes front page

Thanks again for posting your solution

unsure Re: Lost contacts after apple iphone sync and update

I had a scare and thought I was going to lose everything when my phone shut down without warning last week. I figured out haow to get it back on, and decided that I should plug it in to the computer for the first time just in case. So I plugged it in and began following all the steps. I got to the part where it asked me if I wanted to do the update so I said yes. Once it was finished all it's stuff and my phone turned back on EVERYTHING was gone. Calendar info, contacts, apps, texts, music, photos EVERYTHING. I tried to remain calm and just plugged my phone back into the computer to see what would happen. A box popped up (once in iTunes) that said restore not complete, finish? so I clicked yes. Then the message "an error occured while restoring iPhone (-50)" and that's it. Any thoughts or ways to get my info back? I think luckily that most of my photos I already moved to my shutterfly account, and somehow some of my "notes" emailed themselves to me, but I'd love my calendar and contacts back...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmk View Post
    I had a scare and thought I was going to lose everything when my phone shut down without warning last week. I figured out haow to get it back on, and decided that I should plug it in to the computer for the first time just in case. So I plugged it in and began following all the steps. I got to the part where it asked me if I wanted to do the update so I said yes. Once it was finished all it's stuff and my phone turned back on EVERYTHING was gone. Calendar info, contacts, apps, texts, music, photos EVERYTHING. I tried to remain calm and just plugged my phone back into the computer to see what would happen. A box popped up (once in iTunes) that said restore not complete, finish? so I clicked yes. Then the message "an error occured while restoring iPhone (-50)" and that's it. Any thoughts or ways to get my info back? I think luckily that most of my photos I already moved to my shutterfly account, and somehow some of my "notes" emailed themselves to me, but I'd love my calendar and contacts back...
    The error message that you are getting can be caused by an issue with the digital signing of Windows XP drivers. Following the steps below to reregister the several .dll files mentioned below may resolve this issue. Before attempting the steps below, try to restore the iPod using the latest version of iTunes. If you are unable to restore the iPod or if the symptom reappears, follow these steps: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1539

This worked for me Per HankH - thank you very much!: Second step to backup on Windows with the help of iTunes.•Connect your phone and Launch iTunes.
    •Then Click on info at the top screen before the phone image. It is next to summary.
    •Under contacts tick on Sync Contact with Windows Address Book. Choose All contacts. There are number of options. Give ok and then run Sync.After following these steps I was able to go into my contacts via the phone app and they began appearing as I toggled back and forth thru the 5 sections at the bottom and when I tapped the 'Groups' arrow at the top left, there was a new list that included All Contacts, PC, Groups, and iCloud. Even tho iTunes told me my contacts were backed up in iCloud, I found them instead under All Contacts. It took a couple of minutes and some toggling to find them, but it did work.

I had tried other things like 'Import SIM Contacts', etc. to no avail. Glad this worked, and glad it wasn't my first rodeo with this insane process or I would have freaked out! :}

This was the only problem I had with the latest update other than an error msg that stopped the process 3 times, forcing me to reboot my computer and turn off anti-virus protection during the upgrade per advice found elsewhere. The whole process was terribly long - about 8 hours including lost time between starting over each time. I've never been happy with these update procedures - very frustrating.

i accidently synced all of my ipod contents onto my iphone including the very little contacts i had and all of my pictures. i don't know how to get them back, and i have a Dell laptop. can someone please help?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTimeRushFan15 View Post
    i accidently synced all of my ipod contents onto my iphone including the very little contacts i had and all of my pictures. i don't know how to get them back, and i have a Dell laptop. can someone please help?
    Its very simple to install that. To do this, you must have the iTunes installed in your PC. Now connect the ipod with your computer and choose the option as "Back Up" from the top. This will transfer all your content from the PC to your ipad. This is very simple and you you can do this easily. It will only work if you have sync your ipad with the computer previously.

i managed to reconnect the contacts by searching on the phone for a known contact. this managed to reconnect the contacts which were hidden in the phone somewhere.

Thanks All for your helpful advice. I had EXACTLY the same problem with all my contacts disappearing when I upgraded. I followed the advice of TWINTURBOTRUTLE and my contacts magically returned. Highly recommend following the suggestion in his/her post.

I tried the Mail, contacts, calendar thing...this does not work for me
    I cant either find the addressbook.data.previous file
    I tried to sync with windows contacts on ITunes, didnt work either...
    The only backup I see when I try to do the right click on the device is the one that ITunes did automatically after restoring
    I dont know what else to do...the thing is when I get a whatsapp the name of the contact shows up in the notification window but in the app only number shows like the way when the contact has not been created.

Am I doing something wrong??

Aurea, you might want to use a way around iTunes in order to backup/restore iPhone contacts to your device. The following Apple thread has helped me bring back my iPhone contacts from my PC to my device without the need for iTunes: Way to back up iPhone contacts without iTunes/iCloud?

If you had anytime synced the iphone with iTunes then there might be a backup in your system. After syncing iTunes keeps a record of your photos and contacts. You can copy or export that from iTunes. But if you had resynced iPhone after restoring the phone firmware then there are rare chances to recover those files. Anyhow in Windows iPhone sync the contact with windows address book. Type wab in the run box and hit enter. If there are contacts in it you can export them in .csv format and re-import them in iPhone.

It is only possible if you had kept a backup somewhere. Like in iTunes or on mobileme. If not then there are less chances that you can recover those contacts. So it is recommended always to run a backup while restoration. There are some tools which can recover lost data from iPhone, but there is no 100% surity that this will work. Atleast you can try the same with a trial version.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast