Thread: Do i need a new battery for my laptop ?

Do i need a new battery for my laptop ?

Hi,
    I bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 few months ago, my battey life gets over in 30 mins. It goes to maximum 45 mins. Whats wrong i'm doing? I'm keeping it for charge for few hours and its gets over in such a small time. Do I need a new battery for my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop? Please tell me what to do now? and which battery will be best for my laptop? Should I invest in a new power adapter? Thanks for any help.

Re: Do i need a new battery for my laptop ?

It can be because of dead battery or the adapter no longer giving correct voltage to your battery. To charge a Battery you need more Voltage than what the Battery produces so if the Mains Adapter has gone off slightly and is no longer producing the correct Voltage it may not charge the Battery though it can at the moment run the NB. What you need to do here is test the Mains Adapter Output with a Digital Multi Meter set to tread DC Voltages then compare this reading to the Specifications shown on the Mains Adapter. If there is a marked difference of 2 V DC or over under the Specifications replace the Mains Adapter. But if the Mains Adapter is correct replace the Battery. If the Battery still doesn't charge the Motherboard in the NB has suffered some damage and needs replacing.

Do you have any other battery around you? so you can test whether your adapter is working or not. I'll suggest you to go for service center if its still under warranty as you said that you have bought it some months ago only.

It can be because of mobo faulty. To test this turn in your laptop and keep tapping the F2 , now In BIOS check "battery info" and if its shows as AC ADAPTER UNKNOWN and the BATTERY is IDLE it means motherboard needs to be replaced. And for that you need to call Dell center for Mobo replacements.

Refer to following threads to grab more info on similar issue:

Problem with Laptop Battery
    Laptop Battery Problem

Now here are few tips to keep your battery performance better:

Tips for laptop battery
    How to Maintain the laptop battery

Hope this will help. Good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"