Thread: what is IMEI number

what is IMEI number

hi,
    i would like to know what is mean by IMEI number on mobile phones !!!

Re: what is IMEI number

The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique 17 or 15 digit code used to identify an individual mobile in a GSM or UMTS network. The IMEI number provides an important function, it identifies a specific mobile phone being used on a mobile network. The IMEI is a useful tool to prevent a stolen handset from accessing a network . Owners who have their phones stolen can contact their mobile network provider and ask them disable a phone using its IMEI number. With an IMEI number, the phone can be blocked from the network quickly and easily.The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a unique 17 or 15 digit code used to identify an individual mobile station to a GSM or UMTS network. The IMEI number provides an important function; it uniquely identifies a specific mobile phone being used on a mobile network. The IMEI is a useful tool to prevent a stolen handset from accessing a network and being used to place calls. Mobile phone owners who have their phones stolen can contact their mobile network provider and ask them disable a phone using its IMEI number. With an IMEI number, the phone can be blocked from the network quickly and easily.not that swapping a SIM card will not stop a phone from being banned. IMEI numbers are stored in the phones themselves, not on the SIM cards.

Structure of an IMEI Number

IMEI numbers either come in a 17 digit or 15 digit sequences of numbers. The IMEI format currently utilized is AA-BBBBBB-CCCCCC-D:

* AA: These two digits are for the Reporting Body Identifier, indicating the GSMA approved group that allocated the TAC (Type Allocation Code).

* BBBBBB: The remainder of the TAC

* CCCCCC: Serial sequence of the Model

* D: Luhn check digit of the entire model or 0 (This is an algorithm that validates the ID number)

If a mobile handset is lost or stolen, the owner of the device can contact the CEIR (Central Equipment Identity Register) which will blacklist the device from network. this makes it unworthy,however it is possible to change an IMEI with special tools and there are certain mobile networks that do not automatically blacklist handsets registered with the CEIR.

The IMEI - short for International Mobile Equipment Identity - is a unique, 15 digit number given to every single mobile phone.

We need the IMEI to generate the registration code for our applications, because all of our products are licensed per phone.
    Where can I find my IMEI?

To retrieve the IMEI of your phone, just dial the number: *#06#
    The IMEI sometimes see on a label under the battery and sometimes you can find it on the packaging as well.
    To cross-check your IMEI, you can use the service of International Numbering Plans.

Your phone's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number is an international "Serial number" for your phone to properly identify it. Your IMEI can be found at the back of your phone behind the battery or by pressing *#06#* it is a 15 digit number.If your phone prints out more than 15 the rest numbers are unimportant as they are just check sum numbers.

gogy82 Guest

I see that this topic is old but anyway somebody might find this information useful.