Thread: How to replace the hard drive in Archos 504

How to replace the hard drive in Archos 504

I am having a Archos 504 media Player since a year back. Now i got some problem with its hard drive. i do not the problem exactly but it is not functioning properly. So i wonder to replace this hard drive with the new one and with bigger size, around 300gig, if possible. So any one of you know, is it possible to replace the hard disk of Archos 504 ? If yes, please let me know.

Re: How to replace the hard drive in Archos 504

As per me, Archos have taken steps to lock the HD to the device via an encrypted serial number on the HD so you can't replace it yourself and get it working.So its better to get it done by Archos itself. They can fix it but they may charge depending on the damage. And as per the size, 300 GB 2.5-inch drive is not yet out.160 is as big as they have grown, so far.Archos is your only hope, but you might want to use e-mail and ask for a quote as you may find the price they want makes it unlikely that you will want to do it.

If you have any other hard drive of the same size, than try this process of replacement. I had tried it and was successful.When you put in a new drive you have the option to "repair" the system. It repartitions and formats the drive. Next it prompts you to connect the system to your pc and put an Archos update on the drive, one more click and it updates the OS on the drive and reboots. But remember all hard drives have a serial number and they make the firmware for that disk.The old equipments with old firmwares allowed that, but people were putting bigger hard drives and then Archos stopped it.

thats what i really needed. Let me try this steps first. Hope it works for me. If not than i have no choice to contact archos but the problem is what i had experienced about Archos, are not very helpful and absolutely no good at answering questions and e-mails!