Thread: Why are the pink dots on Samsung LCD screen

Why are the pink dots on Samsung LCD screen

I am having a Samsung LCD tv at my home. Its about 1.5 years old and was working fine till last week.But from last few days. when i turn it on i could see the picture, but it is covered with pink dots. Some time when i switch it back it works fine for some and again pink dots on it, then the screen goes black. Its model is Samsung LN-T5265F. Please help me. What should i do ?

Re: Why are the pink dots on Samsung LCD screen

Even i was also facing this problem on one of my Samsung LCD,I turn the TV off, and turn it back on, it comes on without recycling on and off like it does initially, and the little pink dots are gone. Today the pink dots were replaced by a solid screen of colored lines. Turned the TV off and on again and got a good picture. Try this, if it not works, try it by replacing the power supply board.If it displays this behavior on all inputs its the TV. You can rule out other equiptment by process of elimination. If it is the TV Call Samsung or who ever your warranty is with and schedule a service call.

Try to check the dots on other channels. If the problem is still there,than it is the dead pixels.Some manufacturer specifications such as response time, contrast ratio, viewing angles, and refreshing rate are easily found. Others, however, such as dead pixels are more difficult. In fact, this is a very sensitive subject for flat screen manufacturers as warranty policies vary considerably. What i can suggest you is i guess your TV will be under warranty as it is 1.6 years old, so the better option is to contact Samsung to fix this problem.

thanks for the suggestion and for the help. I'll try contact Samsung, if they can fix it under warranty than well and good. Thanks

Actually its NOT dead pixels. Its a bad power supply board. Mine had the same issue. It would take a little longer to power on, then come on with a pattern of pink dots overlaying the screen. This has been an issue for a couple of samsung lcd models. The board needs replaced. If you google "samsung lcd pink dots", you'll see other tech boards which cover the same issue and its resolution. Apparently its an easy self fix, but I had the warranty, so it wasn't an issue.

Pink dots on Samsung LCD screen and on and off start up solution

Solution: If your TV need warming up and has pink dots on the screen - call 1-800 -SAMSUNG and tell them your capacitors are malfunctioning.

I had a problem with the TV going on and off several times before "warming up" and then having pink dots. I would have to reboot to get rid of the dots. I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and reported that I had problems with the capacitors. That is what was causing the problems - cheap capacitors and Samsung is aware that this has caused many TV's to malfunction. My set was not under warranty but Samsung sent a technician across two state lines to fix my TV. As long as the problem is the capacitors Samsung will cover this service call 100%. My TV is fine now. BTW - capacitors which are sold in Radio Shack are not expensive. Why Samsung chose to put the cheapest Korean capacitors in their expensive TVs is a mystery.

I have analyzed this problem and concluded that it's crappy power supply design. They are using cheap electrolytic capacitors to filter the output from a switching power supply. Unfortunately, this type of capacitor is easily damaged by ripple current. This was a very poor choice on Samsung's part because the type of power supply they used creates endless quantities of ripple current. I see this all the time in low quality power supplies where someone decided to put in a 10 cent cap instead of a $1 cap.

The solution to this problem is to replace CM850, CM851, CM852, CM853, CM854, CM876, CM880, and CM881 with caps of the same rating, but of a type that is ripple tolerant like Sanyo OsCon or Panasonic ECG brand capacitors. If you look inside your TV, you will probably notice that some of these capacitors are bulging on top. Replace any bulging cap regardless of it's number. Some poeple online claim that replacing these 10V rated parts with 15V rated parts will solve our problem. It wont, it'll just take longer.

The ratings are as follows if you want to order parts before opening up your TV:

Qty 2 2200uF 10V Digikey PN: P12357-ND
    Qty 2 1000uF 25V Digikey PN: P10321-ND
    Qty 3 47uF 50V Digikey PN: P12379-ND
    Qty 1 1000uF 10V Digikey PN: P10225-ND

About $5

When selecting replacement parts, it is acceptable to use a higher voltage rating that the original part. Do not change the uF value or use a lower voltage rating. All capacitors are radial lead, pin through electrolytic type.

While working on the board, also inspect all of the solder joints for cracks, especially on the larger components, and the big black transistors that are attached to the aluminum heatsinks. Reflow any suspicious looking joint.

Quote Originally Posted by ADJATAY View Post
    I am having a Samsung LCD tv at my home. Its about 1.5 years old and was working fine till last week.But from last few days. when i turn it on i could see the picture, but it is covered with pink dots. Some time when i switch it back it works fine for some and again pink dots on it, then the screen goes black. Its model is Samsung LN-T5265F. Please help me. What should i do ?
    this is a $100 fix in the Ft. Lauderdale area in my Shop. email