Thread: Windows XP: problem with docking and undocking monitor

Windows XP: problem with docking and undocking monitor

I am having Acer Aspire One AOA110-Bp laptop with Windows XP installed. I also have a docking station connected to my external monitor. Whenever I start my system in docked state, everything works as normal. But if I undock it and again dock it after about sometime, the external monitor does not get signal. Where is the problem arising? Can this be the problem of laptop or with the docking station? Please help me!

Re: Windows XP: problem with docking and undocking monitor

Generally, laptops can be docked and undocked hot, cold or standby, depending on the system capabilities. In a cold dock or undock, you completely shuts down the computer before docking/undocking. Whereas, in a hot dock or undock, the computer remains running when docked/undocked. An intermediate style used in some designs allows the computer to be docked/undocked while powered on, but requires that it be placed into a sleep mode prior to docking/undocking.

Try to make the laptop as primary and the monitor as secondary. It is normal to receive a message asking if you wanted to use monitor. Confirm this by answering yes.

This occur basically because docking station detects devices which is still running. But if you still proceed to undock & docking subsequently, it will cause the device not to be able to detect external usb devices. This can also result into blue screen mode. The idea behind this is that Windows is not able to safely remove the device which was connected and hence the result.