Thread: Differences Ipod Classic 5G and 6G

Differences Ipod Classic 5G and 6G

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a ipod but I am but confused.
    What is the difference between the Ipod Classic 5G and 6G besides the sizes and the fact that iPod Classics have aluminum fronts?

Re: Differences Ipod Classic 5G and 6G

The Classic is a nice update...I went from a 5G to a 6G, and it was well worth the money for me.

The Classic is the better system (interface, battery life) but for me it's not worth the upgrade. 5G iPods can be very cheap now and I'd rather rebuy an 80gb 5G than an 80gb 6G. Though I really don't like the new enclosure.

160gb could tempt me away. That's a ruddy load of videos!

The 6G is the same size size as the 5G video. I bought a Classic 160 today and compared it to my video 60. The height, width, and the size and location of the click wheel, screen, and connectors, are all exactly the same. The stainless steel back seems to be exactly the same as the old one. There is a slight difference in overall thickness because the new aluminum front is slightly thinner than the old plastic front. Someone else posted that the difference is .02 (1/50th) of an inch. All my old cases and accessories fit and work with the new iPod. The difference is only noticeable when I put it in my waterproof OtterBox case. It fits but Ihave to press kind of hard to make the click wheel work, but it does work. I cannot tell if there is any difference in weight. I did notice that the screen can go a lot brighter than my old one could. I hope this helps.

I noticed that the 6G sounds precise, crisp, but lacks 3D image and has an electronic haze to the sound. At first, this might sound like an improvement (crisp, detailed), but when listening more carefully and for longer times, it becomes fatiguing after a while. The 5G sounds less precise, but its timbre contains more harmonic information and sounds less electronic. For me, the 5G is closer to how I experience acoustic music in real life, and for me is the better sounding device overall.