Thread: Dell Video Out Query

Dell Video Out Query

hi there

i am going through a big problem. I have a Dell Latitude D600, and on the back of the laptop, is a s-video out connector that has a TV picture above the port. I have a s-video connector that I have from an ATI 9800 pro card, and it looks like its the right one with a row of 3 pins and 4 pins, plus the small plastic rectangle key. I also cleaned the connectors.

I don't know why it is not showing any display to me.

I don't know to check whether no damage happened to my laptop display

Please help me with this problem

Your views will be appreciated

Re: Dell Video Out Query

Is there a VGA port you could try?

t is still possible it is the inverter. Basically what the inverter does is provide power to the backlights in the LCD panel. There are pretty much two connections on the LCD. One connection is for the signal of what to display, the other is for the inverter to power the backlights.

I had exactly this problem and finally discovered that the little plastic button that switches off the screen when you close the laptop lid (above and left of the power button on my Inspiron 8500) was stuck down. I pulled it up and the laptop's LCD works fine again.

Dell, like many manufacturers, recently bought a video chip from NVIDIA that has a serious flaw. Many of these chips will simply die with no warning. Im guessing this is what happened to you, especially if you plug in an external monitor and cannot get video. At this point you should contact Dell for warranty service.

You can definitely do it yourself. I do this for a living and screen replacements are pretty easy. I looked it up on ebay and saw at least 1 for $180 that comes with the entire casing. I would recommend getting one with the outer casing if you want this to be really easy. Dell provides disassembly guides on their site. Should be a matter of unscrewing a few screws, popping the casing near the power button and swapping them. There should be no soldering. Just unplugging a cable and plugging in a new one.