Thread: Samsung, incoming new high-performance SSD

Samsung, incoming new high-performance SSD

"Built for the enterprise world, the new Samsung SSD home promise performance ten times higher than those of traditional SCSI disks / SAS by 15,000 rounds of rotation"

It has been said and written much about the Solid State Drive, not least the fact that consumption has drastically lower than those of conventional discs. That was true and not true at the same time as traditional disks exist for many types. Some of them have almost similar consumption (1.8-inch ones, for example), others are actually far more expensive, such as 3.5-inch high speed, used mainly in servers.

Samsung, in these days, announced a new high-performance SSD that promises not only high performance, but actually reduced consumption compared to discs that are intended to replace. SS805 The new SSD has a capacity of 100GB, shall in all probability cell SLC (Samsung says it is not) and is marketed in a form factor of 2.5 inches, can read data at 230MB per second and write at a 180MB second.

A disk that is to replace the server rack discs traditional SCSI / SAS to 15,000 revolutions per minute, accredited to ensure high performance, but a hundred times lower (according to Samsung) with respect to the new born, in terms of I / O per second rather than transfer rate in pure. Another arrow of SS805 SSD own consumption, far below those of traditional competitors discs.

The new SSD SS805 it consumes about 1.9 W at full load, down to 0.6 W in idle. Values similar to those of the 1.8-inch disks, but well below those of the 3.5-inch disks SCSI / SAS 15,000 rpm, accredited by about 8-15W under load and 2W in idle.

The new disc should be to enrich the range of SSD Korana house, to offer new opportunities to increase performance within the enterprise server with a cut on the energy. Prices? Unfortunately not yet announced, but it will not be an economic unit.

Re: Samsung, incoming new high-performance SSD

The SSD at least for now I seem convenient in the consumption and server performance ..
    The market performance desktop traveling on smaller (important but not later than a basic server) and is more about high-capacity storage.
    If Not spending a huge amount ever for a 100-gig hard for a lot less when I can have 750...If they affect the performance I can always point to a raid 0 with 2 disks.

Reduced consumption and strength should help to all holders of Not / Netbook ...

Then just perfect for the notebook market is suffering from performance discs really embarrassing and makes consumption a key factor ... then move on to the desktop .. but I will certainly replace the disc in my laptop .. but this is not very safe .The Prices are coming down enough to see the benefits and the cost of the new OCZ vertex ... the capacities growing exponentially just wait a while yet.