Thread: Sony Vaio Portable HDD Compatibility

Sony Vaio Portable HDD Compatibility

I must change the hard disk on my laptop Vayo Sony PCG-GRX316G aged 4 years (not the latest qd but not even a dinosaur!) And I have a case of double consciousness:
    1. the original disk is an IBM Travelstar 20 GB at 4200 rpm and according to the document that I found on this model is a 44-pin (me I 43 (1 missing in the middle) + 4 for a possible jumper ...) and what I saw (including the Samsung SpinPoint M MP0402H 40 GB I am interested because prices) include in 40.
    2. a shopkeeper told me also to pay attention to what the motherboard (in my case bus 100 MHz) is capable of managing more than 20 GB of origin (I'm not an eagle in mobile computing technology and c That is the first time I have heard that!).

In short, I would like to know whether, in light of the 2 reserves above, if I can run on the Samsung or if absolutely necessary that I find the original model.

A huge thank you to those who can enlighten me

I'm in the same case that you, my hard drive will soon drop on my Vaio PCG-GRX316G (PCG-8A6M)
    . Can you tell me what you finally do?
    is what it is complicated to disassemble?
    What hard drive model and capacity can be put in place?

There are 2 kinds of hard drives for laptops in general.
    They are almost all 2.5 inches and is Sata (new computers) or IDE (also known as Pata).
    To get their type is easy: go in the device manager and open the disc drive.
    You find the reference (eg st980811as) and the search with this reference you quickly find its type (Sata Seagate 80 GB Momentous 5400 rpm).
    You can also remove the hard disk directly and read the label ... Simply unscrew one to 2 screws usually in the computer. The only manip delicate and to pay attention to the connector. Some portable computers have a hard cover added to dismantle and go back to disk replacement.

Replacing hard drive is usually extremely simple to realize on a laptop. Once done, we know it again in 1 minute 30 (taking his time). So it's not an operation that must be expensive from a reseller, the longest remaining part formatting and software.

For the rest,
    You can upgrade the hard drive, its speed, in short, there is no need to replace it with exactly the same type.

the disc is easy, simply return the laptop, remove the screw that is on the tray or there is a lock / unlock, pull the drawer to remove the disk automatically.
    That's it. is a 2.5-inch IDE 5400 towers that can be replaced by a 7200 tours.

For info, a SATA is also an ide.