• Four

0 0%
  • Five

0 0%
  • More than Five

0 0%

Thread: How many partitions will you do in your Primary HDD

How many partitions will you do in your Primary HDD

I am configuring a new computer. I completed everything and now installing windows 7 in it. I am using a 500 GB HDD. Prior to the installation I did 4 Partition in it like this way:
    C: 200 GB
    D: 100 GB
    E: 100 GB
    F: 100 GB
    I want to install lots of apps and games in. I don’t wanna choose any different partition for that. Everything must reside in C: drive only. For that reason I choose C drive as 200Gb. Others drives simply for storing images, songs, videos, accordingly.

If you were using a 500 GB or any amount of HDD, how will you Partition it? How many Partitions will you do on your computer and why?

Re: How many partitions will you do in your Primary HDD

I would not create too many partitions. I will simply extend it to two. One for the system and one for data plus everything else. On the second partition I can hold a sensible folder structure. Basically you should think about to install a second hard disk so that you can secure that data by creating a back up on it. i am using an external drive where i am storing regular backups.

In the partition table, you can enter more than four partitions. This can either be primary up to four or primary up to three and one extended partition. An extended partition is used as a framework for any number of logical drives. In modern operating systems, primary partitions and logical drives in extended partitions are essentially treated the same.

Most operating systems require a primary partition to boot from a disk. So if I am using the Windows 7, I will surely go for 4 partitions. 3 as Primary partition and one as extended partition for future use.

As far as I know that windows 7 only allows you to create 4 primary partitions officially (or 3 primary and 1 extended). I don’t think that you can create more partition then. However you can extend the partition by the help of extended partition. It will allow you to create logical partitions, up to 64. If you are going to create 1 extended partition in Windows 7, then there will be only 3 Primary partitions left for you. I have partitioned my 1TB HDD into 3 primary and 1 extended. Then I created nearly 7 Logical partitions.

How much you put on partitions up to you.

I have configured 3 Partitions in my 500 GB HDD. In that a 50 GB for Vista and important programs. Then 430 GB for games, programs, movies pictures and other personal files.
    At last 20 GB for applications and drivers, programs, patches ...

For me it is very important that one extra partition for files is to go private so they do not lose a operating system.

I am using the 300 GB HDD and I am very happy with its speed and response time. My recommendation is a 50-60GB partition for operating system like windows 7/Vista and programs. That should be enough and possibly even enough for one or two games on 64bit. Then the property is accessed constantly, the fastest in the area of ​​the disk. This brings a significant speed and defragmenting is quicker. Then the remaining 250GB is meant for future partitions depending on the application area (e.g. documents, music, and video) so that divide again according to your needs.

I would make the partitions as follows:
    1. 100 GB for Windows and programs.
    2. Residual data partition for important documents, scores, pictures, videos, everything is what one important.
    3. I would make a backup with an external 320 GB HDD.
    4. With Paragon Partition Manager, you can make these dividers in Windows 7.