Thread: Intel Pentium G3258 overclocking

Intel Pentium G3258 overclocking

I have recently overclocked my Intel Pentium G3258 by going into the BIOS and changing the CPU ratio to 3.8ghz. After that I didnt change anything but when I went into Windows then it was not showing that it was running on 3.8ghz. When I stress test it then only it will show 3.8ghz. So, can anyone tell me if there is any settings that is needed to be changed to keep it constant on 3.8ghz? Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: Intel Pentium G3258 overclocking

I guess that you might be having the Intel SpeedStep enabled in your system and therefore you will have to disable it by going into your BIOS settings to get the clock speed at 4ghz always. The problem with SpeedStep is that it automatically downclocks your CPU to lower the heat and also save energy when it is not doing anything. You can easily disable it but still this feature is able to instantly clock it back to your full setting when you are using your computer at load.

Yes, due the SpeedStep feature enabled in your BIOS you CPU must be downclocking everytime when it is idle. But while you are playing any games then your CPU will instantly jump up to 4ghz because it will require a lot of processing. I will suggest you to perform some intel burn test as well, so that you will know that your CPU is stable at 4ghz. There is no need to worry about downclocking of the CPU as it will run at full speed while you are gaming and many gamers use this Speedstep enabled in their machine as well.

Also, what is the CPU temperature you are getting? You can also try to use either Intelburn Test or else Prime95 and while using anyone of these software you will be getting error messages from both if one of the cores are not able to calculate the algorithm. But do remember that not to use both the software simultaneously since both are CPU stressing program and so it will cause trouble running both at the same time.