Thread: unlocking Amd Sempron 145 CPUs Second Core

unlocking Amd Sempron 145 CPUs Second Core

I have an old Amd Sempron 145 on an Asrock motherboard with 6gb of RAM. I have recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 along with all the drivers on it. There is no problem with the setup at all but I am now trying to unlock its 2nd core on my new CPU. But since I am new to this I dont know what all settings I have to use. I am thinking about the voltage but dont really know what all modifications does it require. I hope that someone will be able to hep me out. Thanks

Re: unlocking Amd Sempron 145 CPUs Second Core

You need to first of all enter the BIOS menu and then use the motherboards unlock feature if it has 1. You will need to change the core volts for sure but get it stable, there shouldnt be any problem unlocking it. But you should know that if you have still managed to unlock the cores then also it will not work properly as you expect. There are many people who have reported that the chips cause graphics card corruption, memory errors and excessive temperatures and so on.

I think that the 2nd core disabled in your pc is because it failed to pass the stress test that AMD uses to determine if the core is bad or not. There could be minor defects or there might be major defects in the 2nd core in semprons. So that is why you are facing some issues when trying to unlock 2nd core of Sempron. What you can do is either request for an RMA from where ever you go or else keept it with yourself as well. Or else better get another AMD CPU that has 2 working cores.

Can you check whether you have chaged the CPU driver? Incase you have installed Windows OS with only one core then you might be using the UNI core CPU driver. So just try to get into Device Manager and change it to the multi-core driver. But in anycase, if you have already attempted to add a little bit of more volts and have also tried to unlock it without any success then it could be possible that you may need a BIOS update that might solve your problems.