Thread: Can I use Gigabyte GA Z97N is good for overclocking

Can I use Gigabyte GA Z97N is good for overclocking

I found one board on web. I am going to buy one new for Core i5 processor. I found Gigabyte GA Z97N on the web and the features of specification is good enough. I want to know that does this board is good for overclocking or not. I hope this can handle the Core i5 overclocking. I am going to hook up liquid cooling on the same. So my processor will not burn up while using. My last board was burned due to overclocking. I do not know what happen a few transistor burst up and the board is completely dead. Does Gigabyte GA Z97N can handle.

Re: Can I use Gigabyte GA Z97N is good for overclocking

You might crossing high limit for overclocking. It is good if you can go with ultra durable series. Gigabyte has some good products in the market which are ideally designed under overclocking. You can find that in the high end series. They are costly but good enough for extreme usage. Do not go with any product. Just checkout the same. And there are few other manufacturer also on the web that bring more high end boards with good capacitors. They work well while overclocking and will not burn up.

Gigabyte GA Z97N looks like decent board to me. But I do not really think it is enough for the overclocking purpose. You need something a lot more better. This board will be ideal for gaming and for day to day usage. For overclocking you need a robust setup. So that your system does not crash or cause any issue if you do not take care while overclocking. It is right that you need a good amount of hardware setup to run a stable overclocking and the regular air cooling is not going to help much.

As per the board specification this one is designed for overclocking. But I am not able to find the limit which it can manage. I am quiet sure it will be not much higher. This type of boards are ideal for htpc. There is very less information available about overclocking stuff. I am doubtful about the same. It is good if you can find a more detailed review about the board. Which can help you to analyze and understands its performance. You have to find a few test on the web which are done with latest cpu.

This type of reviews also consist of benchmarking report. The board specification shows that this must be the latest with all new thing in it. But for overclocking you need more thing. Like a good amount of heat sink setup on the board. And extreme series boards are designed to work in that manner. For overclocking mostly Z87 chipset boards are recommended and the one that you have is having Intel Z97 Express Chipset. So this is nearby and can be used for the same. But better get some benchmarking reports from the web.

Things are not just limited to motherboard. There are lot more things you need. You must think about the cooling stuff also. I had seen people using the stock air cooling on the same. Due to which the cpu gets heat up really fast. And when you spend a bit more amount on the liquid cooler your cpu works well. It can work stable on high temperature. Then you need a good power supply which can manage the overclocking. Because when you overclocking your cpu needs more power. And low psu can damage its life.