Thread: Intel Core i5 cpu heating up after passing overclocking stability test

Intel Core i5 cpu heating up after passing overclocking stability test

I had used Prime95 to stress test my processor. And it has passed the same. But even after that the cpu is heating up. I am not able to figure out why. Is there any other tool which I can use for the testing purpose. I am quiet sure that if the temperature reaches above 80degree my system is going to crash. And this thing happen very slowly. The temperature does not rise up instantly. I want some help here to find out what is the limit of my system. How much well it can work under overclocking.

Re: Intel Core i5 cpu heating up after passing overclocking stability test

Can be some issue with the system. It can be related to the cooling or with the cpu itself. Try to run a few more test with prime95. You can try running multiple test and see whether the results at the end is same or not. If the system still pass the test and heat in actual overclocking then you have to change your cpu fan. It is one which is not able to work properly and cause the cpu to heat a lot. You can open up the system case and also check the thermal paste. Just see that it is not dried up.

There can be some other issue. Prime95 is a nice tool which provide you enough information when it comes to overclocking. And when the test it passed then your system must not get overheated. According to me this is a issue with the power supply. You have work on the same. What is the max psu voltage you have. I hope this would be over 650watts. Because if it is lower then your system can crash or overheat really fast. There are few more testing software you can find on the web. Try them.

Sometime it happens you wont get appropriate output when you are running a overclocking software. You have to use multiple. I will recommend you to run the test back again using IntelBurnTest. It is a free tool and it can give you the maximum performance of your system. You are already having a Intel processor so it will be more effective and will provide you the right information.Just download and run it. At the end you will get a report about the maximum cpu clock rate the processor can handle.

Intel Burn Test is a tiny utility and it is not really recommended for overclocking stress test. The best tool among all is OverClock Checking Tool (OCCT) 4.4.0. Just download and install this on your system and then test it. I am quiet sure you are going to get the correct information in this. It is designed for running overclocking test. This tool is having a core support upto 16 core and you can run different customizable tests on the same. You can configure the cpu core, ram, etc.

OCCT is very effective compare to other software. That is because of different test options available in the same. And most of the time I had found accurate results from the same. If your system crash while running the test then it means your pc is not having enough resources to run a proper overclocking. You have to upgrade your cooler or psu. Cooler plays a very important role by cooling down the cpu when you are overclocking. The system crash when cpu crosses a temperature limit.