Thread: Unstable overclocking on Intel Core i7 processor after a day usage

Unstable overclocking on Intel Core i7 processor after a day usage

I am not able to figure out what issue really occur. I am overclocking my system through a bios utility. The cpu that we are using is Intel Core i7. After using this a entire day the system is crashing with blue screen. I am also getting temperature warning from the bios. This was working really fine before. I am expecting to overclock the system only when I am playing games. I am having a dual monitor setup. I am extending the display by increasing the screen resolution. And that is not possible on the regular settings.

Re: Unstable overclocking on Intel Core i7 processor after a day usage

There can be some other issue. You have to find that why your system is crashing. You can first go in bios and see the cpu temperature. Just check what is it. If this is very high then you must change the cooling system. The cpu cooler is not capable of cooling it down at the time of overclocking. And you are facing such problem. There are chances that your cpu can face severe hardware problem if the overclocking thing is not working fine. Just overclock at minimal settings. Do not increase the speed much high that can cause issue.

The last time when I overclocked my system worked well for the first two hours. Then it crashed when I was playing game. I was really annoyed with the same. I restarted the pc and tried back. The game again crashed. The system was not turning off. And then after a hours of cooling it started working fine. So here the major issue was cooling. The cpu was getting overheated due to which it crashes. I opened up the cpu case and found the thermal paste on the process was completely dried up. I added a new one and then system worked well.

You have to find at which settings your system will be stable. And you can find that through prime95. It is a simple testing tool which can create a virtual overclocking environment. It will give you the limit where your system can crash. It is good if you can find that through this and follow the right settings. Many board comes with pre-configured settings through which you can overclock from minimal to high. So you must use those settings. Do not go with any third party overclocking utility.

To get a stable overclocking output your overall system should be enough to handle the pressure. Like you must be having a nice psu that can handle the power requirement. You must have a a decent gpu also. It is very important to have a 650w or higher psu if your prime need is overclocking. And other than air cooler, if you can afford liquid cooler then you never have to worry about overclocking. The process can give you more performance. Liquid coolers are more stable compared to regular air cooler.

Always test your system for overclocking. By doing your settings you are putting your system at risk. You can face maximum damage if the cpu is unable to handle the overclocking stuff. Always overclock when your system is able to handle. Experts are able to manage the voltage stuff automatically. But those who are new in this can face problem. Liquid cooler is surely the safest way of overclocking. You can keep your system stable and the manage the output. While air cooler have their working limitation.