Thread: Intel Core i5 processor heating up while running Overclocking test

Intel Core i5 processor heating up while running Overclocking test

We are doing overclocking test on a laptop. It has Intel Core i5 cpu, 2GB ram and 500GB hard drive supported by 1GB Nvidia gpu. I am using OCCT tool here. Core i5 is quiet a good cpu and it is great for gaming and overclocking. So I just ran a test through OCCT to find out whether the system is able to do that or not. I had enabled a cpu temp tool. The temperature goes really high when the test is on. It has crossed 80 degree. What can be the issue.

Re: Intel Core i5 processor heating up while running Overclocking test

Lack of cooling is the issue. Laptop does not has enough space inside. There is a single cpu cooler which is the only option to draw heat out. I will not recommend you to overclock your system. Due to excessive heat the cpu can face damage.

It is better not go for overclocking. Because here in test the system is heating up. OCCT tool creates a virtual environment for overclocking. If this does not work fine then it means the system is not capable of taking down the pressure. You must try not to do the same. Still if you want to test you can go ahead with different test. You can try Prime95 also. This is a similar tool which does the same thing. If the cpu is really heating up then avoid the same. Compare to overclocking on pc, desktop are far more safer. They are great enough to keep your system protected from unwanted heating stuff. The system works really fine and will offer you optimum output. At the time of buying the system did you checked whether it supports overclocking or not. Things are mentioned in the specification. You will have to re-verify the same again and check out.

The cpu fan is not working here. Or your cpu has a poor thermal paste. Remove that and add a good one. Spend a few bucks on good one. You can order that online. Compare to tube paste, get sticker paste. It fits well and over the enter upper part.

You have to apply a liquid cooler on your system. There are ample of them available. You can buy any budget cooler from the market. One of the most cheapest is Corsair H40 Cooler . This one comes for Rs.4300. The cooler features a 120mm fan with liquid cooling support. It has a closed loop cooler where there is no chance of having leakage. It has a powerful design and you can simply go ahead with smart output. The cooler has a 2000 rpm fan that is capable of drawing out maximum heat from the system. Whenever you are going for overclocking it is recommended that you must use a good cooler. Spending a bit high amount will ensure the safety of your processor. Your system will remain safer and will work really fine. There will be no issue with the output. You can go for a bit more higher version which is more powerful and has a bigger size fan.

What is the model of your laptop. Just check the specification of your board and find whether it support overclocking or not. If it does not then there is no way through which you can overclock. I will recommend you to avoid it.

Overclocking is not really meant for laptop. The reason lies with low space inside. The system will get heat-up really fast. And it is very complicated to change the inside cooler. Compare to that overclocking on a desktop is far more easy and simple. You can just hookup a big size fan on the same. It will work nicely and will not have any performance problem also. Before when I was assisting my friend to get a new system he wants laptop for overclocking. I recommended him to go with a desktop system and a compact liquid cooler. After that he was able to overclock his system at a standard rate. I will not say he pushed it really hard but the system worked fine with standard limit.

It is right that laptops lack good ventilation. Here you are trying to overclock and your system is not going well. So better avoid the same. Use your system for gaming purpose only and then check back.