Thread: Is laptop a safe platform for overclocking

Is laptop a safe platform for overclocking

I have a choice for buying a laptop or desktop this time. And I am planning to build a extreme system. For desktop the only issue is that you cannot carry it with you while for a laptop you can take it anywhere. Now under Dell I had seen certain extreme systems which are designed for gaming and as well as overclocking. But do you really think overclocking works well on laptop. In many articles I had found that overclocking requires appropriate cooling stuff and that is not possible in a laptop.

Re: Is laptop a safe platform for overclocking

They can provide you overclocking, but a reasonable rate only. In desktop you can simply cross the limit by applying a good set of cooler. While in laptop you have to stick with limitation. Overclocking is just for boosting the system performance. And it is not necessary that every gaming pc requires overclocking. Some are just loaded with high end configuration which run all games at a good set of resolution. Overclocking is not really required. Compare to desktop there is more risk on a laptop while overclocking. Because there your system heats up really fast and can crash instantly if you cross the limits. Now there are few set of internal utility which can help to go for safe overclocking. Like Turbo boost which I has seen in MSI board. This turbo boost simply enhance the system performance only when needed. That means it only overclock when required. While on the other time the system works fine. This is more safer. Dell systems also comes with this kind internal utilities. Going for manual overclocking can be risky and complicated. Because increasing temperature and damage the hardware.