Thread: Is it difficult to overclock under Linux

Is it difficult to overclock under Linux

I want same advice on overclocking in Linux platform. My friend has a nice laptop Intel Core i5 processor on it. It is working nice for gaming output. We had connected 3 monitors on the same and trying to play a widescreen game. But due to large screen resolution the performance is a bit affected. I think by overclocking this can be fixed. I am playing a Linux multiplayer game here. So this is a just for testing. I had tried to find some automated tools for overclocking, but there is nothing available.

Re: Is it difficult to overclock under Linux

You can overclock, but you have to do that manually through command line interface. Unlike Windows, Linux platform lacks some good tools that works on the gui mode and gives you appropriate overclocking output. You have to do the same manually.

Why you actually want to overclock through OS. You can do the same through bios also. Many motherboard comes with overclocking feature configured in the bios itself. So you can simply overclock and boot your system as you do always. This is more easy. There is no need to install or add any third party applications in your pc which wll help you in increasing the cpu clock rate. That might not function well. Compare to Linux, also it is a bit safer in controlling the cp clock rate in windows. You can reach a more higher speed on it. Thanks to the simple tools available. Overclocking does not double your system performance. It just increases the same 10 to 20% higher. That's all. You can gain the same by updating new drivers and turning off all the applications working in background. Update the most recent drivers and test back the performance will be improved to great extent. While Linux is really missing some great features for gaming and for overclocking due to which many are not able to use. Try searching more about the same on Google. You might get a ready to use benchmarking results on the same.

I am here trying to make a list of different tools that can allow me to overclock my cpu under linux. Till yet the only tool which I found is overclocking the fsb and increasing it speed. Which is really not so helpful. i am looking for something like Rivatuner.

There is one thing you people can try. Instead of installing Linux directly on a separate partition there is one more option available. It is called as virtualization. Just Install whatever your Linux OS on the virtualization tool. I think using Vmware will be more appropriate. Now when you install Linux on the same there is no need to separately format a different partition here. You can install it over windows and also remove it when needed. Install games or applications whatever you want to add and then overclock on windows. I think that is going to work well. And most of the Intel Core i series processors are capable of supporting virtualization. This will be completely stable also. Because you are running the Linux OS inside windows without installation. The performance output will be increased also here. Virtualizatoin works great on those system which has support for the same. If you install it on the processor which does not supports it then there are chances of getting heated system. It is another major drawback of overclocking. The cpu heats-up really fast. You can download and install looks like prime95 that can give you a proper test whether your system is capable of handling overclocking or not.

If this is done through bios then it will surely work. But if you are trying to do this through some automated tool then surely you will face problem. I will advice you to stick with bios settings. This is more appropriate. It has no connection with the OS.