Thread: One of the cores of AMD Phenom II x4 955 is damaged due to overclocking

One of the cores of AMD Phenom II x4 955 is damaged due to overclocking

My system is having a AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor. With AMD motherboard. I had recently overclocked it. After that I am facing a problem with my system. Later on I tried back to overclock to gain more output. But it is stucked at constant rate and also the processor is heating a lot. It looks one of the core is damaged due to which I am getting the problem. I need some help here. I had not yet checked the processor by opening the case. I am sure there will be some way available to fix it.

Re: One of the cores of AMD Phenom II x4 955 is damaged due to overclocking

It is better if you open the case and check your processor. I got my Core i5 damaged through the same way. When I opened up the case I saw there were burning marks on the processor. The cpu works fine but there is some problem with the processor. It was heating and the output was poor. I carried that to the service center. They said it is out of warranty. I am using the same without overclocking. I hope it will work for long time in giving out a reasonable performance.

Overclocking is always a risky procedure. You must not do the same unless you are completely sure about the output. There are chances that you face severe damage if overclocking is not carried out safely. I had seen many people got screwed up by this. The safest way is to use turbo boost utility that comes with the motherboard features. You can use that to boost your system performance and gain a bit extra from the same. You can find ample of motherboard that has this kind of features.

The power supply is usually responsible for this kind of stuff. It is necessary that you get a good one before carrying out overclocking processor. If the power supply is not great enough to handle the pressure of overclocking there can be major failure with the system hardware. Just upgrade that. And ensure that your system must have enough cooling support. If it is heating then do not overclock. There are some set of software available which can tell you whether your system is capable of handling overclocking pressure or not.