Thread: Which is better Overclocking or Turbo Boost

Which is better Overclocking or Turbo Boost

My friend has a MSI motherboard with Intel Core i5 processor on it. I found a utility on it called as some Turbo Boost. I am not having that on my system. I overclock my pc using the bios settings. So I am bit confused here what is the difference among them. Which one among them gives out a better performance. Turbo Boost looks like some kind of booster that increases the cpu usage rate. Does it really overclocks it. And if it overclocks then how can I find core frequency. I think turbo boost is a safer process than overclocking.

Re: Which is better Overclocking or Turbo Boost

You can download Intel Turbo Boost Monitor which will tell you information on your existing frequency usage. The benefit of using Turbo Boost is that you do not require to worry about manual settings. Based on some internal calculator the tool itself increases your system performance safely. It keeps the output on edge due to which there is very less chances of facing a hardware failure. It works really well and it is recommended in place of manual overclocking. Because it needs more understanding of voltage ratios.

It mostly depends on your need. If you want to tweak the performance by your own hand by maintaining a standard ratio then you go with manual overclocking process. It is correct that you must know about using those frequencies properly or else there can be problem with the system output. There are chances that due to improper knowledge you can burn your processor. Turbo Boost is a single button utility that does a mid range overclocking from your side. It is safe and does not hamper the hardware output.

Overclocking is for advance users. Turbo Boost is for beginners who want hassle free solution for overclocking. But it does not really gives you great output. There is a bit limitation to the same. Turbo Boost only increases the system output at a limited ratio. As mentioned above you can find out what settings are applied to your system through Turbo Boost Monitor. There are some third party software also available that can give you more information on the limit of overclocking your processor.

In simple words Turbo Boost means auto overclocking. You have to do nothing here. It is beneficial to some extent only. And the settings or applied frequencies remain hidden from the user. Overclocking from bios is another stable of getting a great output. It is not really complicated to understand how this work. In bios what you have to take care is when you are increasing the cpu rate do that slowly. Do not just push the bar at the end. If your system reboots then it simply means your system cannot handle overclocking.

PC in Overclocking usually restart due low power output. When you increase the cpu clock rate the power consumption also rises. Due to which the system reboots. Second thing if your processor heats up really fast then the issue lies with cooler.

There are tons of aspect that you have to see before going for overclocking. Where power supply and cpu cooler are the most required thing. You cannot simply overclock the pc at any time. If your system is not ready avoid it.

Turbo Boost may be complicated to understand. But it is helpful. In my system there is a small utility working in the system tray. When I click on that the turbo boost is applied. It increases the cpu working rate. And it is great to use the same when you are playing games.

Or else you can simply leave it turned off. it is also essential to check properly that your system must be ready for the same. Run multiple test using Prime95 and check out what you get in the final result.