Thread: System freezes after overclocking AMD Phenom II X4 965

System freezes after overclocking AMD Phenom II X4 965

My system has AMD Phenom II X4 965 and I have tried overclocking it today. I have clocked it to 3.9 GHz and its Volts are at 1.3, temperatures are fine as well, probably 70 degrees. I don’t face any artifacts but after starting my system programs starts crashing on start up. I am not able to make out the cause of this issue?? Can it be because of overclocking??

Re: System freezes after overclocking AMD Phenom II X4 965

Probably yes. If this issue has started after overclocking your system then something might have gone wrong. I want to know if you have checked your system stability thoroughly after overclocking it? Have you performed overclocking before??

This is the first time I have tried overclocking. I did run stability test using Prime95 and my system was quite stable at that time. Even I was thinking it’s because of overclocking. I dint had any such issues before. However, I was thinking when my system was stable during the test then why is it reacting like this now.
    I don’t mind underclocking my system but I just want to confirm if program crashing issue is actually because of overclocking. My system is up to date with all recommended windows installed. I have installed latest driver for all devices as well.

If you are quite sure that your system was stable while running Prime95 then there might be something else causing programs to crash at start up. By the way what you actually mean by “I don’t face any artifacts but after starting my system programs starts crashing on startup”??
    How your programs crashed?? Do they come up with any specific error? Blue screen? Or anything message?? If yes, then just make a note of it and let us know in your next reply so that we can help you with an efficient solution for the same.
    On the other hand even I will suggest you to underclock your system, so as to narrow down the cause this issue.

I doubt your system might be stable at 3.9 GHz. I have gone through a number of article and many people have mentioned that AMD Phenom II X4 965 doesn’t stay stable when clocked above 3.8 GHz.
    If you doubt my words then you can Google out “Overclocking the AMD Phenom ii X4 965 BE (Black Edition) (Easy) “and go through the video to get a better idea of what I am talking about. If you want then I can message you some more links in your inbox which clearly says that overclocking AMD Phenom ii X4 965 above 3.8 GHz is not a good idea.

I think you guys were right. I underclocked my system to 3.7 GHz and programs have stopped crashing on startup. I don’t have any issues now. Actually I was following a guide which clearly says, that as far as a system stays stable after overclocking I should not face any issue. So I was depending and arguing considering that. Sorry for my bad, I am happy that I have crossed checked and fixed the issue, thanks to you all for your help.