Thread: Overclocking Dell inspiron 17R SE

Overclocking Dell inspiron 17R SE

I have Dell inspiron 17R SE, it has Nvidia GT650M 2GB DDR3 and I want to overclock it to get better fps in games like prototype 2, Maxpayne 2 and all. Currently I get around 35 to 40 FPS but I want to get more. I have tweaked about this with some experts and they just said that overclocking a laptop is not a good idea but I do see some people who have tried overclocking their Dell inspiron 17R SE. So I am just here to know form you all here, whether I should overclock my laptop or not??

Re: Overclocking Dell inspiron 17R SE

Frankly speaking, even I will not suggest you to overclock your laptop. All its components are quite intact in little place. Overclocking your GPU might harm other components and lead in to serious issues. I agree that there are people who have overclocked their Dell inspiron 17R SE GPU to some extent but most of them have revert back and have mentioned that they were running in to overheating issues.
    I guess others who have not reverted have enough money and that’s the reason they don’t care while experimenting their stuffs.

I agree, overclocking laptop is not a good idea but you can overclock it to its limits. However, there are some conditions that need to be followed. You can try overclocking your GPU using MSI Afterburner but at the same time you should keep an eye on the temperature as well. If at any point you find your GPU crossing 70 degrees then you should stop.
    70 degrees is the temp limit for laptops. You might be able to reach 75 degrees and even 80 degrees but you’ll surely run in to overheating issues later on.
    -Their is a time for one thing, and times for other things, but now isn't the time to read this message-

Yeah, you can try overclocking your Dell inspiron 17R SE if you want only if you have experience in it. If you haven’t tried overclocking before then better refer to some guides and tutorial for overclocking laptops. Their environments are quite different compared to desktops, and that’s what limits their overclocking capability. Since there is a very little place to dispatch heat out of laptop, it’s likely to get overheated with little bit of overclocking.
    Just as Landon has mentioned even I have come across some people who have overclocked their Dell inspiron 17R SE. One guy had increased the default core clock by 135MHz and Memory clock by 200MHz. He was able to attain a stable functioning system but later he reverted back and added that his laptop temp was getting raised to 80+ after playing games for more than 30 minutes and so. So if you want then you can surely go ahead with overclocking task but make sure that you are following all safety precautions and you are not compromising any.
    If PrAcTiCe MaKeS pErFeCt AnD nObOdY iS pErFeCt WhY pRaTiCe...ThAtS wHaT pEoPlE mAkE hAcKs FoR

There is no point in overclocking a laptop. If you say you get 35 to 40 FPS for games like prototype 2, Maxpayne 2 and all then ill like to add that it’s enough. I know your laptop has pretty good spec but you really can’t expect more fps from a laptop.
    If at all, if you tend to overclock it somehow, there will be very less gain in fps. Say if you are getting 40 fps then you will get 43 fps. Increase of 3 fps will hardly make any difference in prototype 2 and Maxpayne 2.

Thanks for sharing your views guys but I think I’ll give it a try after going through all safety precautions. I am referring some guides for overclocking laptop safely and will perform it this weekend. Don’t worry guy’s ill be careful, am expecting to attain at least 5 FPS more.