Thread: Overclocking Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 with AMD Radeon HD 7730M

Overclocking Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 with AMD Radeon HD 7730M

I have Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 with AMD Radeon HD 7730M, Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz, 4GB RAM running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I want to know if I can overclock it, actually I want to overclock it for getting better FPS. I have installed games like Battlefield 3 and Far cry 3 and I am not able to get more than 30 fps. Suggestion regarding this will be helpful.

Re: Overclocking Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 with AMD Radeon HD 7730M

Games like Battlefield 3 and Far cry 3 are resource hungry and on laptops they might suck up your 2GB ram straight away. Overclocking laptop GPU is really not a good idea as all of its hardware are quite impact in little place. If you want to get better FPS then you can try lowering resolution and playing the game on minimal settings, that won’t make much difference but it will surely add 4 to 5 fps.

I agree but I want to know if I can overclock it to some level??? Or I should just not think about Overclocking at all?? I have tweaked about the same with others and most of the people have suggested me to not overclock it. However, some experts had agreed that I can overclock it to some level but they dint mentioned what level.
    I have tried checking out for guide related to “Overclocking AMD Radeon HD 7730M” but I don’t see any and that made me open a thread here. I just wanted to cross check and clear my doubt form experts here and I think it’s clear now. Anyways isn’t there any alternate method to gain some fps???

What have you tried so far for getting better fps?? Have you tried updating your graphic card to the latest??? If you haven’t then install latest one from Dell official site and let me know if you get better fps compared to what you are getting now. On the other hand you can follow below simple tips for getting better fps on your laptop as well.
    1. Run the game on lower setting
    2. Close all unnecessary programs and non Microsoft unknown services running in the background
    3. Run the game as stand along program

If you follow these tips then you will gain some fps while playing the game.

I have already updated my graphic card driver to the latest. I have tried following the tips that you have mentioned above but the fps gain is just 2. I saw fps turning 32 at some places after lowering the resolution. Is there anything else that I can try out further for better fps? I want to achieve at least 40. Will that be possible without Overclocking???

If you are getting 30 fps at stock then I don’t think you will be able to get 40 without Overclocking. The tips mentioned above might help you to gain 4 to 5 fps but not 10 in anyway. Laptop gpu’s can be overclocked but one has to be very precise with Overclocking. There are some rules, like your laptop temperature should not cross 70 degrees, you should increase voltage accordingly and all. If you are interested, then just follow some Overclocking guide and go through the pre-preperation and safety measures and you will be all good.

Hey thanks for the positive reply, I’ll think about it after going through some Overclocking guides. Actually my laptop is under warranty and I know that overclocking the gpu will void warranty but too many negative answers have filled me up with hesitation. I just wanted to do a safe Overclocking that’s it, just now I have gone through some other sites and have found that to get more 10 fps gain ill have to compromise with the temperature. People who have already tried Overclocking their Dell inspiron 15r se 7520 with AMD Radeon HD 7730M have mentioned that even a little bit of Overclocking raises the temp over 70.