Thread: Overclocking HP Pavilion G6-2005AX

Overclocking HP Pavilion G6-2005AX

I have HP Pavilion G6-2005AX and it has 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 7670M Dedicated 512 MB AMD Radeon HD 7640G Graphics Integrated and APU Quad Core A8 processor. I want to know if I can try overclock it??? I want to overclock it for getting higher fps in some games. I can play latest games like Far cry 3, prototype 2 and all but I don’t get more than 30 fps. I have heard that overclocking video card helps in getting better fps so I was willing to give it a try.

Re: Overclocking HP Pavilion G6-2005AX

I really won’t suggest you to overclock laptop GPU. It’s really not safe to do that. Laptop cooling environment are very different compared to system cooling environment. I have come across many people who have tried overclocking their laptop gpu’s and have ran in to overclocking and graphic issues later on. Some of them had fried their gpus as well.

Yes it’s not safe at all. If I am not mistaken HP Pavilion G6-2005AX is known for overheating issues even when its gpu run on clock speed. 30 fps for games like Far cry 3, prototype 2 is enough. You won’t gain much higher fps even after overclocking GPUs in laptops. There might be a difference of 4 to 5 fps only which won’t make any difference while playing such games.
    Gpu’s are closely integrated with the motherboard in laptops and an increase in their temperature might fry up other nearby components.

See if you have good knowledge of overclocking then you can go ahead with it. You can use MSi Afterburn and increase 100 MHz but while doing that just make sure that you are keeping an eye on the temperature. Don’t let it go above 75 degrees, in short as soon as your laptop temp reaches 75 degrees, stop overclocking. I agree to other members for what they have said but I have tried overclocking laptop GPUs maintaining 75 degrees and haven’t run in to any issues later. If you go above that temp then you might run in too many issues later on.

If your laptop is under warranty then I won’t suggest you to give it a try. Overclocking laptop GPU will technically void any warranty of your laptop. Overclocking laptop GPU creates a lot of heat as a lot of hardware components are packed together in a small package.
    While Overclocking desktop GPUs you just have to raise their limits over stock if you have proper cooling environment but while Overclocking laptop GPU you might disregard the manufacturer's idea. However, if you still feel like overclocking your gpu then you can go ahead with it, as at the end you will be responsible for the issues you’ll face. Just make sure that you are installing latest graphic card driver for your gpu before overclocking it.

Do you all think I’ll try overclocking after listening all these things from you all??? Some of my friends had warned me about the same thing. I don’t have much idea about overclocking and I have not yet performed it on any system. I just wanted to give it a try this time, currently my laptop is under warranty so I don’t want to take any risk. I might try overclocking in future after its warranty gets over.