Thread: Overclocking HP-DV6-7014nr with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Overclocking HP-DV6-7014nr with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

I have HP-DV6-7014nr laptop and I have upgraded its graphic card to NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M. Currently I don’t have any issues with the laptop and I can play most of the latest game but I want to know if I can overclock the card for getting better fps in some recent games like prototype and assassin creed 3. If yes, then what would be safe overclocking limit????? I don’t have much idea about overclocking but I am aware of its process. So just let me know if I should go ahead with overclocking or not.

Re: Overclocking HP-DV6-7014nr with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Since it is a laptop I won’t suggest you to go ahead with overclocking, better run it on its stock speed. Cooling environment of graphic card in laptop is far different compared to a rig. Laptop cooler are capable of handling the card at their stock speeds and not more than that. Overclocking results in sudden increase in temperature of the card, so due to insufficient cooling you might just fry you card in your laptop. There are some people who have mentioned that they have added discrete graphic card to their HP-DV6-7014nr and have overclocked it as well but I really don’t trust them.

I don’t know about the max overclocking that you might be able to perform on NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M . However, if you really want to overclock it, then you can surely give it a try. You can start overclocking your card with msi afterburner but make sure that you are keeping an eye on its temp as well. Other than that be careful while overclocking your ram, it’s very important to do a stable overclocking else you might damage your system components. Your graphic card temperature should not exceed 75 degrees while overclocking since you are having a laptop.

What’s the current fps you get for games like prototype and assassin creed 3???? Do you get up to 40? If you get it up to 40 then trust me its more than enough, Overclocking won’t make much difference in your case.

I get 30 fps and I am aiming for 40 after overclocking. I’ll surely give it a try and ill make sure that I am not exceeding 75 degrees. I also wanted to add that I have an antec laptop cooling pad as well so there won’t be much problem in controlling the card temperature. I just want to achieve the highest possible and stable overclocking value. I’ll revert back to you all in case I have any query further.

No worries, you can revert back to us any time. As far as I can guess you should be able to get 36 fps to 38 fps after overclocking. I don’t know if +6 pr +8 fps will actually make difference while playing the game but it would be worth a try. Even though you are having a cooling pad I won’t suggest you to cross 75 degrees. You can also run your laptop fans at 100 percent for better and efficient cooling. I am looking forward to check out your fps gain.
    By the way have you updated your HP-DV6-7014nr RAM or its having factory installed 8GB DDR3 SDRAM????

I haven’t upgraded the RAM but I am planning to upgrade it soon. To be at the safer side I have gone through some tutorials for applying thermal paste to laptop GPU and will try out the same. Hope thermal paste and cooling pad will be enough for handling my HP-DV6-7014nr cooling environment, fingers crossed.